There are shavings and then there are SHAVINGS!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey, October 2010, you dug deep to find that thread Ali...!

:D

Beautifully set up plane - I can almost hear the pfsssssht.

A fine mouth absolutely helps reduce tearout and one can easily experiment with an ECE Primus smoother where all other settings can remain constant while the mouth aperture is adjusted. The effect varies in degree across species and grain orientation but it definitely exists.

matthewwh":hh2m6y4g said:
Blimey, October 2010, you dug deep to find that thread Ali...!

:D

Beautifully set up plane - I can almost hear the pfsssssht.

Thanks Matthew!! Guess who I bought the plane from :wink:

Ali

Now you need to invest in better measuring equipement Ali. May I suggest the Mitutoyo 547-401:

13051_buyuk.jpg

CStanford":38iot4vu said:
A fine mouth absolutely helps reduce tearout and one can easily experiment with an ECE Primus smoother where all other settings can remain constant while the mouth aperture is adjusted. The effect varies in degree across species and grain orientation but it definitely exists.

Or any of the moving toe designs, e.g. many bevel up planes, or a BedRock.

BugBear

My thinnest shavings are about 0.00001mm but since that's thinner than the wood cells, they turn to dust as soon as they come out of the plane!

The usual top work from Mr Sauer! Jim knows my views on shavings, but quite by coincidence this happened yesterday:
jack-the-lad.jpg

That's a five quid jack that I modified (rather heavily) with the intention of finally making a scrub of the size. Every time, I get near the end and think... let's just see what it can do :lol: :lol:
One day I will commit one of these things to being the scrub I need, but maybe not this one.

Attachments

• jack-the-lad.jpg
    jack-the-lad.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 872
All symptoms of thing going well and the potential for a well finished project

Wooden Plane Awesomeness.jpg

Shavings.jpg

Attachments

• Wooden Plane Awesomeness.jpg
    Wooden Plane Awesomeness.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 853
  • Shavings.jpg
    Shavings.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 853
I really liked the camera setup that Mr Sellers used in one of his videos. So I tried to do
the same thing:

View My Video

Don't know how to embed unfortunately.

Very nice shavings Graham!

Ali

It would be helpful if, when we are showing shavings, we could always say what the timber is. Not trying to knock anyone, but having seen a couple of Japanese plane demonstrations, the timber seems to be something like Tulipwood, which in my limited experience, is a very forgiving timber to plane, being very straight grained, with few knots.

Mike

I think it's a type of Cedar or Cypress. It's obvious that it's very straight grained, relatively soft and has a fairly homogeneous grain structure. Knots not allowed.

danger of drifting off-topic here, but question for Graham. Saw the woodie smoother video, excellent and I was pleased that broadly I do most/all of that. But do you ever put anything on the sole once flattened? I have used hard Briwax before - partly to help reduce wear (if it actually does, unproven of course) and makes it nice n slippy. Maybe that's taboo but just wondering.

Hi Douglas. Briwax sounds a great way to reduce friction and I would think the less friction there is the less wear? I tend to be in the habit of a touch of candle wax as and when required.

blog_Four Candles.jpg

Attachments

• blog_Four Candles.jpg
    blog_Four Candles.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 592
Excellent Graham, I shall carry on with Briwax on the woodies and I am a regular squiggler with the candle on the steel or bronze planes.

Latest posts

Back