The York Tipper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinfoil

Established Member
Reaction score
In a recent issue of British Woodworking (Dec/Jan) there was a piece about someone finding a second-hand York Tipper. This prompted me to order one from York in Czechoslovakia via Axminster. They regularly order York vices and so I avoided what would have been silly carriage charges.

Here are some pictures of my ancient Parkinson fitters vice mounted on the Tipper which is bolted to the end of my equally ancient 'school' type woodworking bench. It should be clear what this device does. Although it was expensive (over £200) it will allow me to keep a projected assembly bench/storage unit clear and uncluttered by the monster vice.

4460762940_f7603c6403_m.jpg
4459983861_927e235e96_m.jpg

4460763132_532efc0071_m.jpg
4460763200_9dbdc65d82_m.jpg

The pneumatic spring works well and the beast is pretty well counterbalanced. It is really useful to be able to adjust the height of the vice and pivot it as well as swing it out of the way.

tinfoil

Wow that looks really useful! It would be great for carvers. I'm surprised they're not more readily available. I also didn't know York was Czek based.

Back