The Veritas Shooting Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andrew,

4ndrew":ubbo905b said:
This product has been unavailable in the UK for the past two months. There was a back order situation at the end of last year with Veritas. However, my order with Lee Valley on December 31st. resulted in despatch from Ottawa on Jan 2nd. and delivery on Jan 6 with customs payment on the doorstep. Lee Valley has all variants in stock this morning. Fast delivery appears to be expensive...but factor in a lower US/Canadian price and I still saved around £60 on the UK price! Could have saved a little more with much longer delivery time...

Congratulations. How have you found the Veritas?

Thanks,
Neil

PS I've found that if you order surface mail from Lee Valley, that you will tend to be very unlucky if you have to pay anything to customs. The down side is that it can take 6-8 weeks.

The latest issue of ShopNotes magazine has a micro-adjustable shooting board plan that uses the Veritas plane.

micro_adj_shoot_board.JPG

Attachments

• micro_adj_shoot_board.JPG
    micro_adj_shoot_board.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,174
Jacob":3w281395 said:
To reduce friction this will then need a quick 5 second pass over a finer grit to take off the sharpness, but without removing the scratches. Saves a lot of unnecessary effort - it will slide nicely but won't look polished.
This is true of other machine marks such as chisel faces - to reduce friction you just need to take off the tops of the scratches, without polishing them right off, which is a waste of time.

I wouldn't say polishing is a waste of time. I find it very theraputic and I like the satisfaction of seeing my face in the reflection when I'm done with the P1200/P2400 wet & dry paper :mrgreen:

Plus it's the ideal pastime to keep you warm on a cold winter's eve :wink: It doesn't result in a population boom :lol:

They are here :) it took some time after seeing them back last September when big Vic from Veritas was at our workshops showing it off.
We have had a few delivered this morning and some have already gone out to pre orders. We have not put them on the website as the sourcing of them has been an issues due to demand, but if ant one is interested give us a call or email to check the situation. They are currently available with A2 blades.
Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":2gzjeibh said:
They are here :) it took some time after seeing them back last September when big Vic from Veritas was at our workshops showing it off.
We have had a few delivered this morning and some have already gone out to pre orders. We have not put them on the website as the sourcing of them has been an issues due to demand, but if ant one is interested give us a call or email to check the situation. They are currently available with A2 blades.
Cheers Peter
Yeah i spotted axi had them in stock the other day.

I have added one to my shopping list over the LN version :shock:

Peter Sefton":2e2rtmu0 said:
bugbear":2e2rtmu0 said:
David C":2e2rtmu0 said:
My seven had been surface ground by an engineer who did not tell me that the travel on his grinder was half the length of the plane..... He put in a huge twist which took about 25 years to lap out.

So much for the notion that engineers work to closer tolerances than woodworkers!

BugBear

A few years ago I took a students No6 to a local engineer for him to resurface, the plane slipped in the machine and was ruined :oops:
We just keep it in-house now :!: 80 micron PSA Scary Sharp on 10mm float glass and check it on a granite inspection plate, it can take some time if the sole is in a bad shape but it is controllable. You can go for a finer micron if required, it depends on how much your arms are feeling :)
Engineers do work to closer tolerances than furniture makers or so they tell us :wink:
Cheers Peter

Flattening planes on float glass does not work well IMHO. The larger the plane, the less accurate it becomes. It leads
to convexity, both in length and width. What it can do is reduce small irregularities in the sole and around the mouth which
can improve the performance quite a bit.

Flatness of float glass is assumed. Floatglass deflects because it is thin, even the thicker 3/4 glass. This leads to tiny
rocking action which causes the convexity. How flat is sandpaper?

Obviously if the plane is really unflat, then lapping can correct it quite a bit. However for high precision lapping is
not really a good method. Some of the infill makers still use this method successfully, but they use certain techniques
and a lot of checking.

Better is to use some engineers blue on a granite surface plate. Move the plane on the blue and turn over to check
which spots are touching the sole. Remove those spots by scraping or filing. Don't use sandpaper to remove these
spots as the grit can embed in the sole and then damage your surface plate!!

Ali

FWIW I agree wirh ali27 re flattening. If the plane is convex in cross section, I file/scrape the centre of the sole so that it is slightly concave, then use abrasive on a flat surface until you have a flat cross section. This obviates any rocking. I think that trying to hold an already convex sole flat on an abrasive sheet is nigh on impossible. All I ever acheived was a more convex sole.
By the way, Axminster sell an abrasive, 4" wide, in rolls, with a peel off film so that you can stick it on glass, stone or whatever. Grades range is limited to 3, with the finest 2500, of whatever measuring base they use. I have been using it for sharpening for the last 3 months on a piece of glass 4" by about 10", 800 one side and 2500 on the other, and it seems to work and last quite well. The trade name is "Hermes" at £6.95/roll.
Lowest grade is 100, but I have not needed to flatten a plane sole since I discovered this product.
If I need to go finer, I can then go to waterstone/ceramic or whatever is your preference.
Seems a fairly cheap effective way and you don't have to worry about hollowing the stone, but interested if anyone else has used it.
Only interested in comments on this material. Please, please not the never ending sharpening battle.
Mike

Ray Isle has one of the original Record Planes milling machines for grinding plane soles.

Rod

Newbie_Neil":1xcsuo66 said:
Hi Jon,

JonnyD":1xcsuo66 said:
I've just bought a new shooting plane called a rogers patent mitre plane and will start cleaning it up soon will do a thread if anyone is interested?

Yes, please.

Thanks,
Neil

Me too!

I don't "do" mitres..only mitre planes but I do love a bit of old Victorian engineering...looking forward to this!

It IS about the tools after all (for some people!)....not everyone makes furniture! :wink:

Jimi

Back