The Veritas Shooting Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark w":an949ula said:
Hello Derek, unless I missed it, would you tell me the maximum thickness (height) that the Veritas can plane when it is in the Stanley shooting board, how much of the blade is usable?

Hi Mark

I will measure this later, however the blade is 2 1/4" wide and skewed at 20 degrees. I'd guess it has about 2" of cutting height.

The reason I am not rushing off to the workshop to look is that it is all academic - no one is likely to shoot more than about 3/4" on average and more typically about 1/2".

Why do you want to know?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I'm in the middle of making a coffee table which, due to its design, required me to shoot end grain of 30mm (about 1 1/8). I used my veritas low angle jack plane which performed very well, I'm thinking of buying the shooting plane but won't if it's capacity is less than my jack plane.

Hi Mark

Anything that is wider than 3/4" you might instead just clamp it in a vise and plane it there. Add a fence to the plane if you need help in getting it perfectly square. A shooting board is really only for narrow pieces.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hello Derek, I don't wish to be rude, but I don't want or need advice on the subject of shooting, I could explain in more detail what I did in shooting for my coffee table, but I was hoping just to get a straight answer.
Just to repeat, I am not being rude, your reviews are much appreciated.

Mark

Sounds a little rude to me and the fact that your wrote, "I don't wish to be rude" twice suggests you though it may be too.

Not sure that is the best method of getting someone to help you with the answer to your question.

After all, you could probably just look it up on the Veritas web site.

Mick

Mark

My intention was to be helpful. Your original question and then your reply that you wanted to shoot wide sides indicated that you had only a basic understanding of shooting and shooting planes. I found your response to be rude. You could have said "thank you' and just moved on without becoming defensive.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek, to be clear my original post stated I had already shot some thick timber, I do have a good knowledge of shooting and Cabinet Making in general, I have no wish to continue an argument with you, I do find it odd that you choose to leave out that I also said your reviews are appreciated and I did not wish to be rude. Professionals like you do sometimes forget to let the sermon end! Why do you always assume you are corresponding with an amateur, the pieces I was shooting were 30mm x 50mm, shooting them with my veritas jack was the quickest method which produced good results.

Derek, to be clear my original post stated I had already shot some thick timber, I do have a good knowledge of shooting and Cabinet Making in general, I have no wish to continue an argument with you, I do find it odd that you choose to leave out that I also said your reviews are appreciated and I did not wish to be rude. Professionals like you do sometimes forget to let the sermon end! Why do you always assume you are corresponding with an amateur, the pieces I was shooting were 30mm x 50mm, shooting them with my veritas jack was the quickest method which produced good results.

Mark

I am not a professional, just an amateur like you. There appears to be some unfortunate miscommunication here.

Perhaps we should drop this now. I have no desire to continue this conversation in this tone.

Regards from Perth

Derek

mark w":2jeii5sy said:
Thanks Mick, I don't wish to be rude, but I've already looked on the Veritas site, the Axminster site and a couple of other reviews, no joy I'm afraid.

I will measure this later, however the blade is 2 1/4" wide and skewed at 20 degrees. I'd guess it has about 2" of cutting height.

Was this not an accurate enough answer for you Mark?

I'm not about to tell what size timber you should or should not be shooting but I would like to offer a possible solution for shooting thicker timber if you are amenable to that?

Would it not be an interesting and satisfying project to pick up the biggest woodie you can find and convert it to a shooter with the widest blade you can fit into it? Then you'd have a plane to service your needs and it would be a one-off to your own spec.

mark w":2zhe09wa said:
Cagenuts, that would be really helpful. How did you get the plane so soon, I`m still waiting for Uk dealers to stock it.

Mark I received mine last year November but I just imported it directly from Lee Valley.

From the bottom of the sole, there's a 5mm clearance before the blade starts to get in on the action. Again from the bottom of the sole, the blade stop cutting at a depth of 57mm (measured perpendicular to the sole).

Hope this is what you were after.

Thanks Cagenuts, that info is very helpful, I`m waiting for a UK supplier to stock it, I dread to think what it would cost to import here. Do you have suppliers in your neck of the woods or is importing your only option?

MMUK":2l1tgm4v said:
mark w":2l1tgm4v said:
Thanks Mick, I don't wish to be rude, but I've already looked on the Veritas site, the Axminster site and a couple of other reviews, no joy I'm afraid.

Was this not an accurate enough answer for you Mark?

I'm not about to tell what size timber you should or should not be shooting but I would like to offer a possible solution for shooting thicker timber if you are amenable to that?

Would it not be an interesting and satisfying project to pick up the biggest woodie you can find and convert it to a shooter with the widest blade you can fit into it? Then you'd have a plane to service your needs and it would be a one-off to your own spec.
Or just do it with a 5 or 5 1/2. The advantage of a dedicated shooting plane is very marginal (if anything at all) and it certainly wouldn't show on the finished item.

Jacob":1ub9puq9 said:
The advantage of a dedicated shooting plane is very marginal (if anything at all) and it certainly wouldn't show on the finished item.

Agree 100% but I bought it because I liked it and no justification came into play.

Mark, we do have one Lee Valley dealer here but they only carry a small selection and I enjoy shipping online so I trend to import stuff. Expensive though, shipping and import duties can sometimes add on an additional 50%.

Cagenuts, the anticipation of a Veritas or Lie Nielsen parcel is very appealing.
Jacob, I may also buy the new Veritas apron, just like their tools it's very innovative! Hefty price tag as usual.

mark w":1snm00ja said:
I may also buy the new Veritas apron, just like their tools it's very innovative! Hefty price tag as usual.

I have that one (black) and it's pretty comfortable. Not too long that it restricts leg movement and not too heavy that you sweat like a go-go dancer.

The advantage of a dedicated shooting plane is very marginal (if anything at all) and it certainly wouldn't show on the finished item.

Hi Jacob

This is one of those statements that is neither correct nor incorrect. Consequently no one challenges it, and it passes into Truth (which it is not).

No one tool is completely indispensable. It is possible to work around just about anything (my chair build is in this category).

If I were a professional woodworker I would be looking to get away with the fewest number of tools that will still do the job. Less to maintain, less outlay, and a larger profit margin. Some tools will be a compromise - do the job tolerably well, not as well as a dedicated tool, but good enough. My first handplane on a shooting board was a #5 1/2. I was not complaining.

The dedicated shooting plane is a pleasure to use. There is nothing like one for sneaking up on a perfect fit for a drawer front. Of course you can do this with the #5 1/2 as well - just not as delicately, as smoothly, or with the same ease to reach this level of precision. And then some dedicated shooting planes do this better than others - more comfort, better control, easier to set up, etc.

Only you can decide if these factors are important to you. It is not a right or wrong thing. It is a choice.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back