The Ultra Rapid Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an extraordinary object. What's the chuck arrangement about? I take it the cylinder thing at the bottom is a flywheel but what's the cork disc - a brake?

Hi All
Now theres a blast from the past. I remember seeing a contraption like this in a tool shop in Fort Worth in 1968ish. I think the shop was Millar Falls. As the drill had a Welsh sounding name I was intrigued but couldn'd find a UK address.
From then on I forgot all about in until now.

Thanks for the memory

Richard

You adjust the chuck by turning that large screw, I have not routed around for a driver for that yet so have not tried it.

Yes it is a grindstone, the rest of that mass is just a flywheel... that really does store up an aweful lot of energy once you get going. I imagine in the lower gear it could drive really quite large drills.

This one says made in Germany on the push plate.

Grrrrrr... Curse you Rhyolith! #-o
You instigator of hand drill envy! :mrgreen:

It must have been in reply to your first post on this forum that I said I wanted one of those.

In this thread from four years ago, I marvelled that someone had known enough about that bizarre box of gears to pay £29.99 for it - was that person you, by any chance? Or where else did you find one?

If you feel a need to do penance, or just push up the world price of these things, then maybe you could do some fresh video of it in action - the clip on Geroge's site is a few software generations old now and probably doesn't display in modern browsers.

You could show us how many hands you need to use the little built-in grindstone, fr'instance. :wink:

AndyT":dghf8pkc said:
Grrrrrr... Curse you Rhyolith! #-o
You instigator of hand drill envy! :mrgreen:
Mwhahahaha! :twisted: I thought of you Andy as I punched the Buy it now option on eBay :D

I am happy to attempt a video. I think I am missing the parts that allow it to be used as a bench drill and grinder (without 4 arms ;) ). Suppose I could put it in the vice for that. As a breast drill I can see its main strength being the flywheel, as this grants an aweful lot of extra power. I have not made any good videos really so advice on this would be neat (what you want to see for example).

If you want to get your revenge Andy, get one of these (I do not own the copyright to the following 3 images):

YankeeDrill8 by Jill, on Flickr
YankeeDrill1 by Jill, on Flickr
Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 23.03.56 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

It may not look like much, but the North Brothers "Yankee" No.1435 is possibly the smallest 2-speed hand drill in existence. Its brother, the No.1530 is my favourite small hand drill so really want a 1435 =P~

North Brothers "Yankee" No.1530 by Rhyolith, on Flickr
North Brothers "Yankee" No.1530 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Ok, if I ever find a 1435 I'll think of you...

And I'm not bitter about missing the Ulra Rapid. I know it's gone to a good home at a fair price, and anyway I've almost got enough drills :wink:

AndyT":3bf0ld7o said:
Ok, if I ever find a 1435 I'll think of you...

And I'm not bitter about missing the Ulra Rapid. I know it's gone to a good home at a fair price, and anyway I've almost got enough drills :wink:
What is this concept of "enough drills"... I don't understand ;)

Thanks for the photos Rhyolith and Andy, of the Ultra Rapid one of those sold at a tool sale here in WA recently, minus its grindstone, and we were wondering what the shaft was for, now we know. This was also made in Germany.
Cheers,
Geoff.

I see this is meant to be used as a portable bench drill (been looking over old threads), how does this work without and downfeed?

As a sidenote I have tried to use it as a breast drill, with questionable results. It wobbles all over due to the weird cranking arrangment, it may be better with practice. The flywheel grants a lot of power and this is probaby the best feature, honestly I am wondering why more top of the line conventional breat drills don't have one. Does anyone know of any others that do?

Latest posts

Back