The Ultimate RC Gadget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, a block with angles cut in it and 4 rare earth magnets. I'd pay £50 for that easily.

I'm not sure I fully understand it's purpose. By the description it sounds as though you stick the blade on it, note the angle, feel the angle, then take it off and try and replicate the angle freehand.

He talked about it at Get Woodworking Live saying that the idea is for a newbie to use it whilst sharpening a blade freehand, and in doing so build up muscle memory of what the correct angle feels like until they can do it without the guide.

== Edited to a more reasonable manner ==

Interesting 'idea' which I feel maybe an expensive replacement for a simple sliding bevel.

Well, you can use the magnets to magnetize the iron before sharpening. There'll be a nice fluffy array of steel residues right at the edge poking out and going under the bevel. Will do interesting things with finer stones.

You can also throw it through your pile of chips and shavings to find the screws you have lost for making a decision to buy that thing.

I have a strange feeling there's been an awful lot of product bashing lately. How about some good and reasonable tools for a change?

Samu

I had a go with one - its essentially training wheels for free-hand sharpening. But it works really well - its one of those things you need to have a little go with for the penny to drop.
And its a little rich some of you moaning about the cost of a sharpening jig - there are some here with sharpening jig collections........ :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

I dare someone to buy one for grim and sent to him as a secret santa next year :lol:

Philly":2i8bj73p said:
I had a go with one - its essentially training wheels for free-hand sharpening. But it works really well - its one of those things you need to have a little go with for the penny to drop.
And its a little rich some of you moaning about the cost of a sharpening jig - there are some here with sharpening jig collections........ :lol:
Cheers
Hi Philly, I'm not saying that it won't work well...but would you pay £28 for a triangular lump of material and 4 magnets?...some of us have sharpening jig collections :whistle: but I'm not one of them (not forgetting of course that I can hone freehand) - Rob

Philly":1biutck7 said:
Cheers

Does it have any kind of wheels underneath?

Sidebar rant: I HATE web pages that are video only. 3 photographs, and a paragraph of text would have served me much better than the 8 minute video (that I refuse to sit through),

BugBear

bugbear":37m9glgf said:
Sidebar rant: I HATE web pages that are video only. 3 photographs, and a paragraph of text would have served me much better than the 8 minute video (that I refuse to sit through),

BugBear

I totally agree ... video is good for some things, but often a few pictures will convey the same idea just as well or better in a few seconds.

I don't doubt the idea, Its the price. I could run a block of wood through my table saw at those angles and glue in a set of magnets for the cost of about £2.

Hey Bloke, do you ever say anything positive? Based on as many of your posts as I have read, you must be one treat to live with. I put myself and my wares in the public eye and fully expect both criticism and praise as part of the process. That said, the only thing you seem to contribute is sarcastic criticism meant to draw attention to yourself. Bullied as a child?
Rob Cosman

robcosman":1s0co00u said:
Hey Bloke, do you ever say anything positive? Based on as many of your posts as I have read, you must be one treat to live with. I put myself and my wares in the public eye and fully expect both criticism and praise as part of the process. That said, the only thing you seem to contribute is sarcastic criticism meant to draw attention to yourself. Bullied as a child?
Rob Cosman
Ooooooooh...that's a bit harsh Rob, but I'll accept it with the undiluted venom with which the comment was posted :wink:

I never said that it wouldn't work well, only that it's a truly exorbitant amount of money to pay for what is essentially a triangular bit of material and four magnets. As others have said, this could be knocked up in a few minutes from an oddment of stuff in the scrap box...£28 is way over the top. However, if you can persuade people (for that read idiots) that this gadget is worth paying that amount of money for, then more power to your elbow!
My initial comment was not intended to be sarcastic as it's a common form of address/humour on this side of the water, but hailing from the colonies as you do, you may not understand the phrase...'having a larf' (now that is being sarcastic in case you didn't realize)
As to drawing attention to myself, the 'pot calling kettle black' springs immediatly to mind and if you don't know what that English expression means, I suggest you look that one up as well :lol: - Rob

I'll respond to this in detail later tonight. Would I be correct in assuming you don't know much about product development, packaging, distribution, wholesale/retail margins?
Rob Cosman

robcosman":250obf81 said:
I'll respond to this in detail later tonight. Would I be correct in assuming you don't know much about product development, packaging, distribution, wholesale/retail margins?
Rob Cosman
At the end of the jour...it's still a simple triangular piece of material with 4 magnets in it - Rob

Back