The Ultimate RC Gadget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, seems I've arrived just in time!* Where's my waterpistol to stop you two cats fighting...

A small bit of 19mm acrylic I had spare, a 75 facing cutter and a few minutes gave the right angles, some magnets glue and a grit blaster made it function and a little tickle on a laser to give it a nice finish we have...
4690900483_849f00851d_b.jpg

I can almost feel my muscles being trained as I look at it**. In fact, you wouldn't believe how with the help of this little gadget how different 31 degrees feels from 29***, if only most of my tools weren't honed to 35 :? ****

To me it seems that it would wear very quickly on a stone and loose its accuracy, but then again, I'm only a product development engineer, what would I know?*****

Want to try it out tomorrow Rob? You do the tea and negativity I'll do the biscuits.

Aidan

* - sarcastic
** - very sarcastic
*** - positively oozing in sarcasm
**** - no really they are
***** - even more sarcastic than the last time

robcosman":2qh3ku2m said:
I'll respond to this in detail later tonight. Would I be correct in assuming you don't know much about product development, packaging, distribution, wholesale/retail margins?
Rob Cosman

I do. I'm now very curious to see how this argument is about to play out given the intro...

theo-paphitis.jpg

TheTiddles":3vb4bcv2 said:
Well, seems I've arrived just in time!* Where's my waterpistol to stop you two cats fighting...

A small bit of 19mm acrylic I had spare, a 75 facing cutter and a few minutes gave the right angles, some magnets glue and a grit blaster made it function and a little tickle on a laser to give it a nice finish we have...
4690900483_849f00851d_b.jpg

I can almost feel my muscles being trained as I look at it**. In fact, you wouldn't believe how with the help of this little gadget how different 31 degrees feels from 29***, if only most of my tools weren't honed to 35 :? ****

To me it seems that it would wear very quickly on a stone and loose its accuracy, but then again, I'm only a product development engineer, what would I know?*****

Want to try it out tomorrow Rob? You do the tea and negativity I'll do the biscuits.

Aidan

* - sarcastic
** - very sarcastic
*** - positively oozing in sarcasm
**** - no really they are
***** - even more sarcastic than the last time

That is in fact is uber-cool and worthy of at least an outing with Theo at the DD :lol: but here's the definitive version in English oak:

005small-1.jpg

hand made in 15 minutes(biro engraved) and that included honing a planeblade. This version is offered to the forum at the special discount rate of £25*** without magnets (haven't got any :( ) and with magnets for £30 (gota make a profit somewhere***** :lol:) but please note, this does not include fancy packaging (which is extra) or postage rates (again extra) - Rob

Oh, I was going to put mine in a charity auction to raise funds for your "bullied at school" issues! :lol:

Aidan

TheTiddles":20da2xf2 said:
Oh, I was going to put mine in a charity auction to raise funds for your "bullied at school" issues! :lol:

Aidan
Good idea Aiden...can go towards my Domino fund! :lol: :lol: - Rob

"To me it seems that it would wear very quickly on a stone and loose its accuracy"

If the bottom contact face is running on the stone wouldn't the face wear evenly and therefore the honing angles remain the same?

flounder":2apcw5ca said:
"To me it seems that it would wear very quickly on a stone and loose its accuracy"

If the bottom contact face is running on the stone wouldn't the face wear evenly and therefore the honing angles remain the same?

Only if the load is dead even which it won't be, I'd go for something like an eclipse guide for doing blades that way, I do hone freehand but only on wide, low-angle blades that have a huge surface area to keep pressed onto the stone

Aidan

I won't even ASK about the patents....

No...I won't......I just won't....

:D

I think I will wait for the special 10th Anniversary engraved edition....

(I forgot how many stars that is supposed to be but it's lots...)

Jim

woodbloke":2t59xvdq said:
Ooooooooh...that's a bit harsh Rob,

What were you expecting Woodbloke, the guy to come on the forum & completely agree with you & the others who have derided him & his product.

I don`t condone personal attacks, but what can be expected when threads like this are posted.

If folks want this forum to go back to being a friendlier place, then we all should think about what we are posting.

Doug.

Doug B":25ydkrgi said:
woodbloke":25ydkrgi said:
Ooooooooh...that's a bit harsh Rob,

What were you expecting Woodbloke, the guy to come on the forum & completely agree with you & the others who have derided him & his product.

I don`t condone personal attacks, but what can be expected when threads like this are posted.

If folks want this forum to go back to being a friendlier place, then we all should think about what we are posting.

Doug.

Doug - I wasn't deriding the product, as I stated, only it's price. I wasn't intentionally deriding Rob C either until he had a pop at me :wink:
I'm happy to call this one quits before it develops into something far more acrimonious (which would be daft) as we've both had a go at each other - Rob

Been away on the road a couple of days. Seems I've missed out on the fun....

As I said, I've seen this in the flesh and used it. It is a well made piece, from Corian I believe, and is a very useful jig to help "train the hand".
As for the price - yes, it may seem a little steep at first glance. But Rob makes these himself - he's not a large manufacturer, he's a craftsman who makes these tools himself while also teaching, making dvd's, travelling the country (world!) giving training courses, etc.......
You've made a few marking knives in past - how much do you think you would have to charge to sell those? And make a profit? After shipping them half-way across the world? And then adding a fair retailer discount?
I think you'll find the price becomes far more realistic when you take this into consideration. Whether you think you personally would pay that price is another question again.

So you can kind of understand Rob C's hurt response. At least, I can. He is human, after all. :lol:

Cheers
Philly :D

robcosman":7gyyx6g3 said:
Hey Bloke, do you ever say anything positive? Based on as many of your posts as I have read, you must be one treat to live with. I put myself and my wares in the public eye and fully expect both criticism and praise as part of the process. That said, the only thing you seem to contribute is sarcastic criticism meant to draw attention to yourself. Bullied as a child?
Rob Cosman

Good grief I didn't realise that being bullied as a kid was the cause my tendency to sarcastic wit (being the lowest form it also fits with my love of innuendo).

Thank you so much for pointing this out to me Rob, I must remember this when considering tool / book purchases as you're obviously a multi talented shrink as well as a brilliant product engineer.

Miles

Philly":1td4w9te said:
Been away on the road a couple of days. Seems I've missed out on the fun....

As I said, I've seen this in the flesh and used it. It is a well made piece, from Corian I believe, and is a very useful jig to help "train the hand".
As for the price - yes, it may seem a little steep at first glance. But Rob makes these himself - he's not a large manufacturer, he's a craftsman who makes these tools himself while also teaching, making dvd's, travelling the country (world!) giving training courses, etc.......
You've made a few marking knives in past - how much do you think you would have to charge to sell those? And make a profit? After shipping them half-way across the world? And then adding a fair retailer discount?
I think you'll find the price becomes far more realistic when you take this into consideration. Whether you think you personally would pay that price is another question again.

So you can kind of understand Rob C's hurt response. At least, I can. He is human, after all. :lol:

Cheers
Philly :D

Philly - as I said, I'm happy to call this quits before it degenerates into an all out slanging match, which quite frankly, this forum doesn't need. All I would point out is that there are two equally useful little gadgets from the USA (both of which I have) like this and this(Painters Pyramids) which must have been subject to the same sort of marketing strategies as Rob's triangular block...but when you look at price differential for similarly simple objects, the difference is glaring. That Rob makes these himself (which I didn't know) would go some way to explain the high cost. My feeling is that if he were to sub-contract this work out to a small firm for batch production, the cost per unit would probably drop significantly.
The salient point is that no one thus far on the forum has been prepared to say that they'd stump up nearly £30 for a block of corian...£15 maybe but at the former price point I suspect there won't be many punters - Rob

Maybe one day someone will explain to me why I need to train my hands to do this anyway.

I get the feeling that if you use a jig you are considered an amateur and hand sharpening somehow makes you "professional".

Sorry Phil but if I ever felt the need to have one of these...which I don't, I am with the others...I would whip up a bit of scrap.

Whilst Rob's comment may not have been the most subtle way of putting over a point...I am with him on the point...100%...

I want a laser though!!!! :D :D

Jim

woodbloke":1lcfrcxx said:
jimi43":1lcfrcxx said:

I want a laser though!!!! :D :D

Jim
Pick one up at a booty tomorrow Jim! :lol: :lol: - Rob

HA!!!

I bought half a plane once...so anything's possible.

Annie did her nut when I came home with the complete control system simulator for a Cessna! She was smiling on the other side of her face when I sold it to a guy in Hungary for hundreds!

Now...lasers....mmmm....I ain't seen one of those yet...but anything's possible...

:wink:

Jim

RC. I have met you and found you a very welcoming and friendly guy. I came away thinking "Nice Bloke". But I do think your insults to WB are somewhat harsh. I hope you can find it in yourself to apologise. I realise that it's not nice to hear your work criticised, but this is the name of the game. It happens with pretty much everything that is made or sold. You said it yourself. We all receive criticism for the things we do or make, that's life. But no one insulted you personally. WB had every right to suggest the triangle that you make is expensive, because it really is. Now I don't doubt you have worked out what it costs you to make and sell, but when selling to people who make things from wood, it's clear that someone's going to point out how simple they are to make. I think the product could be very useful and when I watched the video, I 'got it' instantly. But I do think that an actual honing guide is more useful for similar expenditure (if not much less n some cases).

Only your sales reports can tell you if these comments are reflective of your customer base. I truly wish you well with your business ventures. I own most of your DVDs and fully intend to buy one of your saws one day because it's the only one I've picked up and it felt 'right'.

wizer":1fdgqa67 said:
RC. I have met you and found you a very welcoming and friendly guy. I came away thinking "Nice Bloke". But I do think your insults to WB are somewhat harsh. I hope you can find it in yourself to apologise. I realise that it's not nice to hear your work criticised, but this is the name of the game. It happens with pretty much everything that is made or sold. You said it yourself. We all receive criticism for the things we do or make, that's life. But no one insulted you personally. WB had every right to suggest the triangle that you make is expensive, because it really is. Now I don't doubt you have worked out what it costs you to make and sell, but when selling to people who make things from wood, it's clear that someone's going to point out how simple they are to make. I think the product could be very useful and when I watched the video, I 'got it' instantly. But I do think that an actual honing guide is more useful for similar expenditure (if not much less n some cases).

Only your sales reports can tell you if these comments are reflective of your customer base. I truly wish you well with your business ventures. I own most of your DVDs and fully intend to buy one of your saws one day because it's the only one I've picked up and it felt 'right'.

What happened to the view that comments which did not assist people to sell things are automatically trollish and should be banned?

Latest posts

Back