The Ultimate RC Gadget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happened to the view that comments which did not assist people to sell things are automatically trollish and should be banned?

absolutely agree jake, looks like a certain clan are massing and defending each other, lets wait for a certain horned one to add his comments yet!!
I also thought Moderators were supposed to be impartial, unless of course they are modding 2 forums it seems :wink:

Rob (Woodbloke - getting confusing with all these Robs...)

Fair enough. I only felt I should defend Rob C's product as 1: I actually seen and used it, and 2: You have a little history with bashing Rob C's product/techniques..... :lol:
This is no reason for Rob C to respond as harshly as he did - I know he's a decent fellow and hope he'll reconsider some of his comments after sleeping on them. As we have seen from recent threads, getting heated is no way to sell your products! :wink:

SteveB
As for Mods being impartial, I have my own views and opinions. Am I not free to express those (within the agreed rules) when posting here as a member? Obviously if I was acting as a "Moderator" that would be more under the magnifying glass, but I've been a member here for many years and actually do partake in a little woodworking every now and again. I'm not just here as unpaid administrator, open to the "wonderfully witty" comments of all and sundry.

Philly

then perhaps Philly you should make it plain as to whether you are 'Acting as Moderator' or ' Member' when adding your comments to a thread..

To be fair to Whizzer (wizer) :lol: he's never said comments, good or bad, should not be allowed on sale/product threads, as far as I know. Some others have indeed claimed that negative comments are trollish, made by 'The Problem Few' blah blah rubbish rubbish. I note they have said nothing in this instance. Selective? they are indeed, which is why I take little notice of their opinion on the subject.

The Gadget - Too expensive and too easily makeable at home.

WB's Comments - Blunt, with sarcastic undertone.

RC's Comments - Petulant, Rude, Insulting, Childish.

Philly":3am4r6eo said:
...But Rob makes these himself - he's not a large manufacturer, he's a craftsman who makes these tools himself while also teaching, making dvd's, travelling the country (world!) giving training courses, etc.......
You've made a few marking knives in past - how much do you think you would have to charge to sell those? And make a profit? After shipping them half-way across the world? And then adding a fair retailer discount?
I think you'll find the price becomes far more realistic when you take this into consideration. Whether you think you personally would pay that price is another question again.

Strikes me that this particular product does not command the "romance" of "hand-made" and may be better suited to mass production and therefore an improved price. By contrast, a hand-made marking knife, or plane, etc is a different kettle of fish.

stevebuk":1z6j2sfd said:
then perhaps Philly you should make it plain as to whether you are 'Acting as Moderator' or ' Member' when adding your comments to a thread..

When I act as a Moderator I normally make that quite clear, Steve. If its any help to you though, I have now handed in my notice to Charley and you can take as read that my comments are indeed my own.

Philly

I am with you Philly. I really have no time for knockers when they all they appear to do is criticise for the sake of it. Bloody children. :roll:

I will offer a challenge to all who believe that Rob Cosman's training aid is possible to make as a one-off for under the price he sells it.

What no one seems to have understood (too quick to knock?) is that the material that is used in the manufacture of this ding-dong is not wood and not plastic. "It's made of a composite material that does not wear very quickly" (video). Could it be corian (as used in the RC dovetail saw handles)? Corian is rated more wear resistant than granite. So what do you plan to use when you build yours? :p Wood?! :lol:

Whether you consider the "training wheels" necessary, that is another matter altogether. Frankly they are just another sharpening aid. And there are plenty here who seem to love discussing their honing guides. Don't think it is a good idea? Then just say so ... with a rational reason. That is the appropriate way to critique something.

Good luck with the challenge.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek...I am a guitar maker (of sorts) so I have used Corian before so at least I am aware of it.

I suppose RC will know how useful it is by how many he sells.

If this thread represents market research from his potential market, rightly or wrongly....I think he should revisit the business plan! :D

Mind you...if he comes up with an engraving laser for £28 then I will be first in the queue! :mrgreen: :lol: [-o<

Jim

studders":1qip93ro said:
Jake":1qip93ro said:
Read the rules at Wizer's new place, Studders?

Nope. Got a Linky to a relevant one?
I tend not to read rules as a rule, that way I can 'not knowingly' break them. :wink:

Seems I owe Wizer a semi-apology - the rule is not to post anything on the for sale thread which is "not conducive to selling the item" but you are allowed to start a seperate thread elsewhere to discuss the item generally. I didn't recall the last bit being there when I read them on my first visit there, but that may well just be my defective memory.

I am with you Philly. I really have no time for knockers when they all they appear to do is criticise for the sake of it. Bloody children. :roll:

Dunno, value for money is a legitimate thing to discuss isn't it? Cost of production is not the measure of value for money for the user, of course. You could theoretically make one of those from diamond rather than off-cuts of corian. The cost would be even more prohibitive.

Woodbloke may have been a bit abrasive but he's making a perfectly fair point. Reminded me of Grim.

Jake":1d365bgh said:
Woodbloke may have been a bit abrasive but he's making a perfectly fair point. Reminded me of Grim.

Now it's REALLY getting personal! :lol:

Can we get back to the real point of the thread and all revel in the glorious nature of my fantastic reproduction please?!*

Aidan

* - functionally, it's rubbish.

It's a gleaming jewel Aidan, should sell well as long as you learn the art of salesmanship a bit better*.

*i.e. never admit the truth even in a footnote

Thanks Jake, glad you like it, I can't handle criticism of any sort or expressions of personal opinion that indicate that anything I do is less than perfect and then I have to resort to being offensive.

Buy my new dovetail saw, it's only 2.5 times the price of a Lie Nielsen!

Aidan

TheTiddles":5yms8v25 said:
Thanks Jake, glad you like it, I can't handle criticism of any sort or expressions of personal opinion that indicate that anything I do is less than perfect and then I have to resort to being offensive.

Buy my new dovetail saw, it's only 2.5 times the price of a Lie Nielsen!

Aidan

Is it engraved with a laser?

Jim

Latest posts

Back