The things your parents said to you...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My father and brother were steadfastly monoglot, speaking only English. My mother spoke English fluently, but she and I normally conversed in her native language or in French. Mealtimes were a hoot - sentences would often start in one language and finish in another.

As you might guess, the main thing my father used to say to me was "What are you two talking about now?" He and my brother seemed to think that we were always talking about them - they were usually correct.... :cool:

Don't sit close to the TV.
Draughts will kill you.
If kids drink coffee, they'll grow a tail.
If you step on a frog, your mum will die.
Don't swallow chewing gum. (It'll stick to your intestines)
Don't wander off, the Gypsies will steal you.
I bet the partizans didn't complain about that during the war.
I'll leave without you.
The jab won't hurt.
I can see you from here (from the next room)...

All patently false. Except for the variety of drafts. Those can be dangerous. ;)

Don't sit close to the TV.
Draughts will kill you.
If kids drink coffee, they'll grow a tail.
If you step on a frog, your mum will die.
Don't swallow chewing gum. (It'll stick to your intestines)
Don't wander off, the Gypsies will steal you.
I bet the partizans didn't complain about that during the war.
I'll leave without you.
The jab won't hurt.
I can see you from here (from the next room)...

All patently false. Except for the variety of drafts. Those can be dangerous. ;)
"If you pull that face and the wind changes it will stick!"

From my dear old Mother:

"Wind is caused by the trees waving their arms about"

Cars changing gear "Thats the car taking a breath"

My mother in law had a rather dim view of pretty much everyone's motives. If she was confronted with an example of someone doing something kind she would say 'they're only doing it to be nice', implying that people are only ever kind in order to impress anyone who might notice. She had a tough childhood, including seeing a friend standing next to her at a bar literally taken through the floor by a bomb during the war!

My mum regularly said “just wait ‘til your dad gets home”.
I was truly terrified of his temper and quite often she’d have calmed down by the time he was back and I got a reprieve.
My mum would say that I think more as a way to calm her own temper! Dad was far calmer than mum!!

Aged three my parents convinced me i could add to my Christmas wish list by shouting those additional items up the chimney.

Yeah, big joke then.

Currently searching for suitable care homes...... :sneaky:

A bit like the ice cream van. Apparently they only played the chimes when they'd sold out....

Measure twice cut once still rings in my ears every time I cut something.after I cut a large piece off hardwood short think my dad tried to have me adopted 😳😢

Apparently they only played the chimes when they'd sold out....
My mates dad ( Italian ) owned a biggish ice-cream company, I drove one of the vans as a summer job ( get some surprisingly pretty women buying ice-cream, good way to get dates ), we ran the chimes all the time unless we were stopped.I used to give away loads of ice-cream ( I paid cost out of my wages ) to "break the ice" ( pun intended ) with the young ladies, and also for the poor kids at the back, who looked longingly, but who obviously couldn't afford to buy.

A few more, remembered by my wife:

"Hill sheep are special. They have two legs longer than the other so that they can stand on the hill side".

If my wife was being naughty she was told "I've got my north eye on you". She stopped immediately.

While being bored on car journeys to the sea side : "keep looking for sand at the side of the road. When you see it, we are nearly there".

"I've got a bone in my leg" - aches and pains.

Back