The obsession continues.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul. wybi nailed it really, this particular tree was infected whilst still growing, I guess if left longer it would have started to rot out, the pale bits are already soft.

Some of the colouring found in this I believe is similar to staining found in brown oak which is caused by fungal infection, fungi is not necessarily present in all the wood but rather stains it.
The visible fungus growing on the tree, and continuing to grow on the logs over the winter was Sooty Black in colour and had very strong pigmentation.

Paul, re spalted wood, this is an example of a piece I got hold of recently. It blew down in a gale and was sawn up. The first picture is of the inside, the second of the outside. The tree was hollow for about 20 foot up th middle and you can see the rot & fungius in it.
spalt.jpg

spalt2.jpg

Pete

Paul.J":3su3uod8 said:
Cheers Pete.
Looks similar to the pieces i got the other week,only smaller :shock:
Have fun.
Paul.J.

Blimey, if that's smaller how did you move yours? This one weighs a ton and nearly did the suspension chucking it in the boot :eek:

Pete

Sorry Pete.
I meant my logs were smaller,
Blimey, if that's smaller how did you move yours? This one weighs a ton and nearly did the suspension chucking it in the boot
and i was thinking the same thing about your piece :roll:
Paul.J.

__________Still pottering.

_________ _______ click on image for larger view
___________Cedar of Lebanon(82-110mm)

PowerTool":32r07gn2 said:
Nice work - like the variety of shapes :D
Andrew

Shapes are somewhat dictated by the bit of wood Andrew, these are just using up some of the oddments and whatever results in a clean cut without splits etc. goes. So I can't claim any originality on the shape front really.

__________A few more reach the finishing post.

_________ _________ ___
________________Beech (120mm)____________________Beech (134mm)

_________ _________
________________Yew (90mm)_____________________Spalted Ash (82mm)

_________ _________ ___
______________Laburnum (100mm)__________________Laburnum (95mm)

_________ _________click on images for larger view
_____________Laburnum (90mm)

Nice - the last three look distinctly beaker-shaped - are they intended to be decorative or functional? (As one of the reasons I got a lathe was to be able to turn goblets,and so far have only made the one.. :oops: )

Andrew

PowerTool":3d3v9gev said:
Nice - the last three look distinctly beaker-shaped - are they intended to be decorative or functional? (As one of the reasons I got a lathe was to be able to turn goblets,and so far have only made the one.. :oops: )
Andrew

Andrew,
The three Laburnum pots are Paint Brush Holders (watercolour), but this size is equally suitable for pens, pencils etc.

I caution anyone receiving a vessel such as a goblet made of Laburnum that it should not be used for "wet food" or drink, it is rather poisonous.

wood yew believe it !":2p59vgkm said:
chas, i knew laburnum was dodgy, and i know the "greenery" of yew is too, but what bout the "wood" of yew, if you get my meaning! ?

From here (Laburnum)

All parts of the plant are poisonous and can be lethal if consumed in excess. Symptoms of Laburnum poisoning may include intense sleepiness, vomiting, convulsive movements, coma, slight frothing at the mouth and unequally dilated pupils. In some cases, diarrhea is very severe and at times the convulsions are markedly tetanic.

Despite the plant's toxicity, it is used as a food plant by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Buff-tip.

And from Here (Yew)

All parts of the tree are highly toxic, except the bright red aril surrounding the seed, enabling ingestion and dispersal by birds.

EDIT: I personally do not think there is any problem from these woods used as dry goods platters or bowls, (fruit,nuts etc.) as long as they have a "Sealing Finish" applied. I would not use them for Salad Bowls or anything other than an "Ornate" Drinking Vessel.

All nice again Chas.
I like the Yew piece,sort of half n half colours. :D
Why is it that i knew Laburnam was poisonous yet somehow sort of forgot :? Cracking up me thinks.
Would this effect the turner through breathing in too much dust :?:
Paul.J.

Paul.J":1giz4t73 said:
...snip..Would this effect the turner through breathing in too much dust :?:
Paul.J.

In my opinion any dust is dangerous, my system does not like Laburnum or Yew dust, I think it's toxicity is one more factor on the avoidance scale.

__________yet another Pencil/Brush Pot

_________ _______ click on image for larger view
_______________Cherry (90mm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back