The obsession continues / Look, no holes!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Lads :?

Any chance of ending these never ending threads

The obsession continues running for over 1 year now :?

Look , no more holes , running since Feb 2007 :?

If they were to end and new projects were started in new threads it may liven the woodturning part of the forum up a bit :? :wink:

Just a suggestion :!:

I really can't see the point of ending the long threads you mention Blister:

anyone new to the forum has an easily accessible source of a variety of objects/comments (helpful and otherwise). (The alternative would be to trawl through endless threads thrown up by the search facility [all supposing that they knew what to search for :wink: ])

These threads are associated with the work of each author, I enjoy each contribution and look forward to seeeing the next masterpiece.

If it isn't broken it does not require fixing.

The old saying 'you can't please all of the people all of the time' is as true today as ever it was... for those authors contemplating 'pulling' their threads I say Keep 'em coming!

1st EditAfterthought...
If they were to end and new projects were started in new threads it may liven the woodturning part of the forum up a bit

I doubt it would have that effect, as it stands it shows newcomers that posting about their work (of whatever standard) is acceptable and welcome 8)

2nd Edit Second afterthought... isn't it about time you put your pic up on Rogues gallery Blister... it would be good to 'see' who's talking...

As a junior up and coming author of a "long thread" I can't see any problem in the continuance of these threads. I can see that the odd individual may not like them, but if that is the case they don't have to read them. Let's face it if a thread stays up front by its authors posts only then it won't last long.

Also I may not be the best turner around, but I quite like getting other members reactions to my work. I realise that it seems that there are also only the same few members patting each other on the back at each post, but the posts are there for anyone to have a go at. I think I am old and ugly enough to take any criticism on the chin. Which is the main reason I upload my posts to my own thread.

Also in my experience it is hard to get anyone to exhibited their work in a turning club,and I guess it is just as hard here. It is only by showing your bits and pieces that you can get some advice and hopefully hints and tips to take you forward.

Also this site has only had a personal 'blog' service in the last month or so. Let's just put our long threads down to a early method of 'bloging' :lol: Long may the long thread live!

My 3 penneth worth!

Hi everyone,

first post so here goes..

I have been lurking for quite a while now, probably spending most of my time in the 'turning section. I am no stranger to forums and usually have no problems with the search function...once the correct terms are known.

Being a noob where the lathe is concerned, finding these excellent works displayed along with the correct terminology and methods used to create & finish them, all in one thread, is IMHO the best solution.

As stated above by oldsoke & TEP, the threads are a showcase of the author's work and it's better to have it all in one thread, than to have to trawl through multiple pages of search results.

A simple text file on the desktop, with links to favourite pages within the thread and a brief description, allows me to easily find a particular piece by a particular author.

Soooo, my vote is to keep things the way they are.

I think all as been said on the 2 threads mentioned and i'm in favour of keeping them going :D :D
It will be interesting to see how the new forums Woodturning section gets along :wink:
By the way welcome Mickster :D
Paul.J.

As one of the 'guilty parties' I guess I had better respond. Chas can and no doubt will respond.

I do put other threads up when I want specific critique or if I have some request or need advice. The 'Look no holes' thread is there as a place to put up things I do for people to laugh at/admire/ignore (delete as appropriate :lol: ) Occasionally I have searched for something by a certain contributor and find that I have dozens of threads to look through and I felt (feel) that having a general thread like mine means that people can look or not as they wish. I will look with interest at this thread and if a majority seem to want to have a new thread each time I post so be it. Note that though we (Chas & I )are mentioned there are a number of other threads that are equally as long (in fact I think there are at least two others longer than mine at the moment.

Let me know how you all feel about this guys

Pete

Important thing to note 1) - I'm biased :lol:
2) I'm also in favour of these "large" threads (for all the reasons already mentioned)

And as for "liven the woodturning part of the forum up a bit" - well,as a hobby woodturner,I only normally get to spend time in the workshop on a weekend;as we are only talking about half-a-dozen larger threads,I often find that when I post something new,my current thread is on page 2,so that makes 20-30 new topics per week.

I post virtually everything I make,in the hope it will encourage other people to post their turnings;so don't be shy - "good" or "bad" is all subjective,we can (and do) all learn from each other.

Andrew

It's interesting to note the number of postings giving cogent reasons for not having long threads of the type cited...

Hi all
Looks like I have put my foot in it :roll:

My point and again I say my point is this :-

I enjoy woodturning when I can find some time to get down the garage

And when I have made something new I post it as new and not add it to my last post

When I get on the computer and visit UK Workshop I go straight to the Woodturning section to see whats new ? and view any new topics

What I don't do is go to a year old thread to the last post and trawl backwards through the last comment to the second from last comment to the new workpiece that may be 12 comments back from the end of the thread :?

Its like reading a book from the last page to the first page ??? I cant do that either :cry:

I did however go straight to Power Tools latest post and enjoyed reading and looking at the items and comments , from the original post to the last comment

Glad I said it only a suggestion in my original post :p

So my final comment , My point of view :p not the same as anyone elses

Keep the NEW posts coming :p :p

Allen

Blister":27szs6tp said:
Hi all
Looks like I have put my foot in it :roll:

No! you've simply expressed your opinion just as others have done in response. A healthy exchange of honest opinions is a good thing :wink:

Blister":11936hzp said:
When I get on the computer and visit UK Workshop I go straight to the Woodturning section to see whats new ? and view any new topics

What I don't do is go to a year old thread to the last post and trawl backwards through the last comment to the second from last comment to the new workpiece that may be 12 comments back from the end of the thread :?

Hi

You probably know this already but in case you, or anyone else, doesnt.

When you are logged in to the forum new threads or threads that have had new posts since your last visit are highlighted in bold, which I am sure you already know. They also have a small icon next to the post title
icon_newest_reply.gif
if you click on this it will take you to the last message you read in that thread.

Hope this helps.

john

oldsoke":38crb3s1 said:
No! you've simply expressed your opinion just as others have done in response. A healthy exchange of honest opinions is a good thing :wink:
Amen to that, and a valid point here:

Blister":38crb3s1 said:
What I don't do is go to a year old thread to the last post and trawl backwards through the last comment to the second from last comment to the new workpiece that may be 12 comments back from the end of the thread

Granted, this can be annoying to some people, but I sometimes get my own questions answered by the author, from the questions raised in the congratulatory comments.

Regards,

Mick.

:( Please,Please, dont remove the long threadsfrom the site. This is a great referance point for somebody like me , a complete beginner . I have gleaned more imformation from these threads than from any books or Mags. in print.
To me this is the heart of woodturning, all you get in book, Mags, or dvd's is the successful items that are turned .In these posts are the success's and,the failures but most importently the why's and how's these things came about.
Let them live so others can learn. Regds. Boysie

Back