The New Yankee Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveb

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what has happened to The New Yankee Workshop on Virgin?
I am a big fan of the show and whilst I have no problems with fishing and apologise to those of you who enjoy the endless hours of the fishing shows on Discovery, I would like to see more Woodworking shown on my TV.
HELP!!
Steve

Ah you spotted that did you. I'm not a fisherman either.
Sky in their wisdom decided that the best time to put fishing programmes on the telly is when all the fisherman are out fishing.
Genius, pure bleeding genius.

Dom

Im a carp fisherman myself but must admit the amount they show is beyond a joke,mainly repeats & old repeats at that,i agree more woodwork & less fishing.

Despite my 'MisterFish' name, I cannot stand fishing (nor can I eat fish or seafood of any description). But, I am assuming we are talking about Discovery Real Time, it seems that NYW is being 'rested'.

A week or so ago they had a Saturday morning run of NYW on Real Time Extra, but apart from that virtually nothing. You can scan ahead a few weeks on their website to see what is listed and transmission times

As I and others have commented in the past we are now two series of Norm behind and the current series (mainly making a bespoke kitchen and due for first showing in the states after Christmas) is well into production. Nobody has reported getting any positive reply from Discovery other than to say that they welcome customer feedback. It would be nice to see the last two series as well as series 5, 6 and 8 that they haven't shown for years.

You can, of course buy videos and DVDs of most of the episodes but that works out very expensive. Not that I would condone the practise :wink: but there may be uploaded episodes available to download using bittorrent.

Misterfish

I am currenlty watching Le salvager on Discovery Real Time.

Although his work is not finished to the highest mirror finish standard, its very interesting to watch.

It's the finish (or lack of it) in the Salvagers programs that can give a new starter the confidence to get started in what can be an expensive hobby.

guys i just got virgin in the otehr day,
can you tell me the times and days when any woodworking programs are on please.
cheers

dom , never a truer word said in jest.....pure bleedin` genius to air fishing programmes when the very people likely to watch are out, fishing :lol:

NYW, the great british workshop among others should have a fair airing along with the other leisurely pursuits shown on TV.

maybe we should all buy ONE NYW DVD, and after veiwing "exchange" it with another member.... :wink:

Kane":iu39m6x2 said:
It's the finish (or lack of it) in the Salvagers programs that can give a new starter the confidence to get started in what can be an expensive hobby.

I'm not sure what to make of 'Le Salvager'

On the one hand he does make an interesting prog. wondering what the heck he's up to, :) on the other hand he doesn't appear to understand anything about wood :(

As Kane says, if it does help people to 'get started' I suppose i shouldn't knock it, but personally I don't go out of my way to watch the prog.

As for Discovery channel, they are really useless, they never answer my e-mails (Apart from an 'automated' reply which is itself insulting) and I can only assume their scheduling is done by a couple brain dead graduates from the local borstal :lol:

Got to agree with you there Losos, Le Salvager isn't one of my favourites. Rico seems to turn out such tack with enthusiasm. Still as has been mentioned if it gets someone started in woodwork then at least it is something. As for the woodworking shows on Discovery I haven't seen one for over a month now! I am NOT a fishing fan and this is all that seems to get air time. I guess the people who schedual the Discovery channel think that everyone just sits about on a riverbank for relaxation! :twisted:

There used to be a good mix of DIY & Woodwork programs on Real Time but lately the channel seems to have turned into the fishing channel..!

I doubt they will ever put New NYW programs on - they would have to buy them and it's cheaper to just put repeats on all the time. Since they must get paid from Sky via our subscription their money is secure. Perhaps, instead of writing to Discovery Real Time and getting their bog standard reply we should be directing our frustrations at Sky, maybe they can exert some influence.

As for Rico and Le Salvager - I luv the guy, I think he's so entertaining and he does some really interesting stuff with what is basically scrap most of the time.

He did have an idea of offering holidays with him in France where you would spend a week in his company creating one of his pieces. I don't know what happened to that idea though,

regards

Brian

Norm's my hero....
He has been the reason i started woodworking in the first place...been watching him for years.....
Unfortunately or fortunately whcih ever way you look at it my sky broke 6 weeks ago and me and SWMBO decided to not repair yet as i am currently working on many projects around the house and tv is just a distraction....well i must say iv'e found things to do that i forgot i could...talking..reading to name a few but i do miss Norm :cry:
So i went to google video and searched NYW and low and behold some never seen episodes..... :D :D :D

Aso found something called "Old Cranky".....made me laugh......

try it...

Google video....seach "New Yankee Workshop"

Nick

tenpin":df7a2b01 said:
Norm's my hero....
He has been the reason i started woodworking in the first place...been watching him for years.....

Me too - I hadn't done any woodworking since the early 60's at school and his programs rekindled my interest and funneled a load of my cash to Axminster and Rutlands.

tenpin":df7a2b01 said:
So i went to google video and searched NYW and low and behold some never seen episodes..... :D :D :D

Yes - series 5, 6 and 8 were shown years ago on Home and Leisure and the latest two series have never been shown here. www.newyankee.com/bynumber2.shtml lists all the episodes made with pictures and descriptions and www.woodbutcher.net/norm.htm gives a lot of interesting info as well.

I live in hope that we will get the new NYW episodes, especially as they showed a recent batch of 'This Old House' (with Norm and Kevin) episodes for the first time last year.

Misterfish

Just wondering is the ''wood wizard'' Richard Blizzard still going,he was the reason i got interested in woodwork,nothing to confusing.

It is indeed the same guy, just alot older :wink: The series you are referring to is called Model Magic and each episode focuses on a different kind of model making (cars, steam trains, helicopters etc). Sadly no wooden models as far as I have seen though.

I still remember as a child watching him build a wooden rolls royce on one of his shows which I though was just fantastic. Having seen it in one of his books its not quite so impressive through my older eyes though. I still have the plans somewhere for his landrovers that are on the tuit list for my kids. So many projects, so little time....

Steve.

I heard on the grapevine, that because "RealTime" is overloaded with property & fishing programmes, they're renaming the channel to:

"Yuppies & Guppys"

Chris. :wink:

I've ranted about this before before. I wish for more (or at least some) woodworking/DIY programes. I do not understand why they have to flood the channels with one type of programme. For instance they had 'Build Month' a while back (which actually lasted more than a month.) But then they halted all DIY/WW programmes in place of Fishing. What's wrong with a general mix of programmes? Surely this is the whole point in the channel. But what really gets my goat about the Real Time channels is that they are now showing programmes that absolutely do not fit into the genre. I do not want to watch programmes about 'Little People', Plastic Surgery, etc, etc.

I doubt that they are doing all this without research. Sadly it seems that they are gaining viewers with this type of schedule.

New Home DIY, according to the tv schedule, is being shown 0600-1200 this Saturday & Sunday! Sadly it's the same episodes both days. It's also the series that was on in Build Month and has been repeated at least once more since then! :x

BRING BACK BARRY BUCKNALL :lol:

It does seem weird to repeat a whole series on one day then again the very next. I'd love to hear the official explanation why. As I said before, there must be a commercial reason for it. It can't be just 'laziness', as it appears.

Latest posts

Back