The messiest workshop on here??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pond

Established Member
Reaction score
My workshop/ garage/ equipment store/ brewery!

I know it's a complete tip but I refuse to spend ages tidying it until I've finished my kitchen project!!
kitchen 2011 030.jpg
kitchen 2011 031.jpg
kitchen 2011 032.jpg
my little MB9020 p/t is the heart of the operation but it does like to throw the shavings around!
kitchen 2011 038.jpg
shavings and offcut store!
kitchen 2011 040.jpg
my pipe racks make perfect wood racks too!
kitchen 2011 046.jpg
from the outside. I built this on my own last summer.

Attachments

• kitchen 2011 030.jpg
    kitchen 2011 030.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 1,731
  • kitchen 2011 031.jpg
    kitchen 2011 031.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 1,731
  • kitchen 2011 032.jpg
    kitchen 2011 032.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,731
  • kitchen 2011 038.jpg
    kitchen 2011 038.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 1,731
  • kitchen 2011 040.jpg
    kitchen 2011 040.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 1,731
  • kitchen 2011 046.jpg
    kitchen 2011 046.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 1,731
Impressive build by yourself. That workshop looks like a desert! Don't you find the quality of your work suffers in proportion to how messy your space gets? I really do. Similar to not been able to sleep in an untidy scheme, probably a bit OCD!

I had that P/T and the extraction was excellent, it may be down to the extractor:

This is all I got after filling this entire sack (sorry to post pics in your thread!):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/ ... C01089.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/ ... C01090.jpg

I see that your dust collector is more sophisticated, yet perhaps no more effective, than my old two-stage gravity fed model:

scaled.php

Not shown: Snow shovel assist feature.:)

Kirk

Chems":2emm4vxk said:
That workshop looks like a desert! Don't you find the quality of your work suffers in proportion to how messy your space gets? I really do.
No, I just get through a lot of tack cloths!! :D

My P/T only throws the shavings on the planer, the extract 'hood' doesn't fit in the thicknesser chute very well!!

One of the main reasons I tidy up all the dust and shavings regularly is the worry of Fire, plus I can't concentrate properly if surrounded by mess.

studders":tdn6fpug said:
One of the main reasons I tidy up all the dust and shavings regularly is the worry of Fire, plus I can't concentrate properly if surrounded by mess.

Although I take just about all other fire risks importantly (its a fear of mine to lose everything to fire) I only sweep up when im starting to slip on the dust :lol:

Hudson Carpentry":4541papi said:
(its a fear of mine to lose everything to fire)
It became a reality for me some years ago. It was scary just how quickly the fire took hold and it's not something I want to happen again, hence I'm perhaps a little paranoid about it. Seeing all your stuff ruined is mightily depressing.

studders":9i2cxsnx said:
...plus I can't concentrate properly if surrounded by mess.

That's what drives me most. The clutter level rises continuously until I just can't stand it anymore and I have to put away a dozen or two clamps, planes, chisels, jigs, or whatever. And when the dust/chip/shaving level on floor gets enough that I'm kicking it around and can feel the piles through my shoe soles, it's time to sweep.

Kirk

I think a little mess is acceptable 'a tidy desk is an empty mind' as they say :D Once I start tripping over things and knocking stuff over as it comes out of the thicknesser :shock: I know it's time to clear up. It's a good way to take five when things are going wrong. However as much as the shop gets bombed I like to clean up and put away at the end of a day, it's always nice to come into a clean shop in the morn.

As hard as i try to clean down I always manage to cover the estate car interior in a puff of dust as i get in. An tips for keeping the dust down here? Perhaps a switch that briefly sets the blowers to extract :D

One extreme to another: I visited a very well known UK furniture makers shop once and was asked to remove my shoes as he popped his slippers on! I swear you could of eaten your dinner off the shop floor... well maybe not after my cheesey socks had been slipping about! :roll:

jimmy rivers":17gxww8k said:
One extreme to another: I visited a very well known UK furniture makers shop once and was asked to remove my shoes as he popped his slippers on! I swear you could of eaten your dinner off the shop floor... well maybe not after my cheesey socks had been slipping about! :roll:
...and I know who that was :wink: , over twoards Wales p'raps? - Rob

Hay I cleaned my shop today. Ready for a new project that now completed and the shop looks a tip again hehe.

To help with dust in the car I tend to use the air compressor to quickly blow myself down. Its not perfect but makes a good difference.

I have a broom-head mounted upside down on the floor just near the door of the workshop to scrape/ brush your shoes off before leaving the 'shop. I usually just use the brush from a dustpan and brush to brush the rest of me down. Gets the bulk off. But isn't fool-proof as the rest of my house (which adjoins my workshop) will bear witness to. :)

Pond":1vjlsoaz said:
My workshop/ garage/ equipment store/ brewery!

I know it's a complete tip.

Believe me, I've seen worse!

And worked in it.

When setting up my new workshop I resolved to keep it tidy and have kept to it. When time permits I continue to make improvements - more shelving, storage racks, &c. so it actually gets better. Unless I've made hardly any mess that day (unusual!) I clear up every night and put all my tools away. It's great for the morale to start each day with a clear bench and tidy workshop and I'm sure it makes for better work and more productivity.

I too fear fire hazards, especially hand plane shavings. For all that they may look and smell nice, I often accumulate vast quantities of them. You lose stuff and it's about as inflammable as wood gets.

Sawyer":ze42o8tq said:
I clear up every night and put all my tools away. It's great for the morale to start each day with a clear bench and tidy workshop and I'm sure it makes for better work and more productivity.

An excellent attitude to get into - I never leave my workshop without doing exactly as you state above - I have only ever seen bad accidents in untidy workshops!

Rog

To add further to the two replies above.

I also never like to leave any saw dust on the floor overnight, just in case the worst happens and there is a fire. The same goes for any rags that have been used to apply danish oil.

Mine still isn't the tidiest of workshops, but it isn't the worst either. :)

dscf4392yb0.jpg

DSCF8843.jpg

DSCF8840.jpg

saw.jpg

DSCF8678.jpg

Latest posts

Back