The Long Road Home - Dad's Old Cabinet Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn pete

Established Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I traveled back east for Memorial Day and to bring home some of my Dad's things from his old shop. His cabinet bench is a real treasure to me and its nice to have it here in my shop now.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/ ... -home.html

What are your prized treasures that have been handed down from that special person who started you on the woodworking path?

My condolences on the passing of your Dad. Sounds like he was a fine man.
It's obvious the pleasure you're going to get every time you use it.
I wish you well, and hope you and your children can share many memories at that bench too.
All the best.

Adam.

Very moving story Pete. My Grandfather started me off on woodworking, when I was under ten. he had a small workshop and a few hand tools, but bags of skill and he tried to pass that on to me. I hope I have done him justice over the years.

I have a very ordinary but very special to me Stanley No4 given to me by my father about 35 years ago. He died when I was in my early 20s and he was just 50.

Now I am 54 I realise he was too young to go.

I still miss him badly. He would just love my workshop.

My Stanley may be ordinary but it is a prized possession, I use it lots and it's actually very good.

Mick

That's a very moving story. It's surprising how many of us can trace our woodworking back to some inspirational figure, I hope some of us are able to similarly inspire one of tomorrow's woodworkers, that would be a worthwhile legacy.

A very special story.

My father died 9 yrs ago aged 87. He'd been a hobbyist woodworker most of his life and when he died I inherited all his stuff including a lot of tools that had belonged to my Grandfathers and possibly Great Grandfather?
So much that a lot of it is still in storage boxes and occasionally I have a rout through and clean up a few bits.

Pride of place must go to my Grandfathers Tyzac saws branded Frederick Willey, Leeds (c1880) where my family lived.
Also a set of J D Addis carving chisels that my father bought as a teenager.

willeysawrenvy6.jpg

willeyhs1copy.jpg

addiswm1.jpg

How big is Arlington and can any veteran be buried there? Cemetery space is getting very scarce in the UK so generally the only option is Cremation?

Rod

Very cool Rod. The saws are beautiful. Did your Dad do any carving while you were growing up?

Arlington is the second or third largest national cemetery here in the US. Over 400,000 soldiers and family members are buried there now. Over the years they've conducted several expansion projects, and I think there are a couple more phases in the works. There is a list of criteria for internment, but basically an honorably discharged veteran who served active duty is eligible. I think most soldiers are buried in their home towns or maybe some place special to their families. Arlington tends to be the choice for folks who served an entire career or were wounded or killed in action. Dad was a 30 year veteran of multiple wars/conflicts all over the world, so for us Arlington is that "special place." There are several generations of our family there.

i lost my dad almost 2 years ago a week before my 21st birthday. He was 62, and in some ways a genius, he pioneered the internet many moons ago. which leads to a very funny story about a primitive swear filter and an upset vicar from scunthorpe!

he could have sold snow to an eskimo!

adidat

Back