The Last Bootfair this year

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Well...last weekend saw the last bootfair near me until the Spring so I had to go even though I was working later...

I'm glad I did...because for years I've been looking for one of these...

20140816_113510.jpg

A little engineer's box for all the small but delicate bits and bobs for wood and metalworking.

Quite a few hand tools will be kept in here once I find a place in the workshop for it.

It was in a right state...the bottom drawer was hanging out with no runners...the solid oak frame had been bashed around a bit and the door was missing..

But it was a Moore and Wright!

20140816_113516.jpg

But in a way this was to my favour because not only did I manage to get it for £20....but I was able to test the new hide glue from Titebond and also try a new stain mix I had been working on just for such an occasion.

So a few tarting sessions this week ended up with a rather smarter box...

20140816_120455.jpg

Ok...it's still a bit dented but that's what I call "patina" :mrgreen: ...

...so now all I've got to do is make a door and buy a suitable lock.

Oh...and I got a 200 year old Captain's brass telescope...but that ain't a tool so....no picture... :mrgreen:

Jim

rafezetter":3qmh780e said:
jealous - sooo jealous. nice job cleaning it up.

Cheers Raf!

It was a good test platform for the stain...I wanted to try it on something that would in all other respects...be beyond economic repair!

A refurbished lock from Fleabay arrived today so ALFIE did a quick QA check for me before I make a new door....

20140822_173632-1.jpg

He approved and since it was brass...he refrained from eating it! 8)

Cheers

Jimi

Really nice, and a good price too. Mind you, the one for which I paid £75 some years ago did come with a full complement of engineers tools plus complete sets of number, letter and imperial drills................. :evil:

dickm":3421igix said:
Really nice, and a good price too. Mind you, the one for which I paid £75 some years ago did come with a full complement of engineers tools plus complete sets of number, letter and imperial drills................. :evil:

The same bloke had another one which WAS full of tools and stuff but he wanted £150 for that...

It was all Imperial stuff and tools I already had so I passed on that...and also I noticed him selling the stuff "bit by bit" (literally) all morning so the mug that bought the final "package" probably didn't realise there was twice as much stuff in it at the beginning of the morning! :lol:

Charlatans these clearance boys...mind you...he thought that there was a drawer missing from the bottom of my one so they ain't all that smart! :mrgreen:

Jim

Mr_P said:
Note to self : Try harder / travel further and find yourself a decent car boot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151384534014? ... 1423.l2649

Very nice find Jimi =D> =D> =D>[/quote

Do it.
Currently in Kent and I went to one if jims carboots and got some amazing stuff. Most happy with the coopers adze for £2
Well worth the 120+ miles I traveled :)

Thanks
TT

Latest posts

Back