The holy grail of steel rulers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its unfortunately the old guard that will not let go of Imperial, still baffles me why we are still buying sheet materials at 1220 x 2440 and they mostly imported?

Mike

I don't know for certain, but I suspect it is because the American market is and will remain Imperial, it was the case for the aircraft industry when I was in that.

Beau":13x006m2 said:
mm all the way when accuracy is required

When accuracy is required, forget the numbers and transfer the measurements directly with the gauge / calipers / dividers / storey stick / etc :wink:

Beau":13x006m2 said:
Yes imperial is great for rough work.

My lathe is calibrated in Imperial. 0.001" not accurate enough for you? (or 0.0254mm if that floats your boat?) :wink:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

bugbear":151fc7yu said:
I love metric versus imperial threads. Right up there with sharpening.
Absolutely. They're just as fruitful!

Ahh yes our American cousins will not let go, thats why all our woodworking machines have Imperial fittings and slots, such a nuisance and now we have Trump Arghhhhhhhh

Mike

Well these arrived today, and they seem like excellent quality, I like dieter schmid - fast postage, well packaged and a free bag of sweets!
20170317_131746-600x1066.jpg

Attachments

• 20170317_131746-600x1066.jpg
    20170317_131746-600x1066.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 446
DTR":2hwf3w3d said:
Beau":2hwf3w3d said:
mm all the way when accuracy is required

When accuracy is required, forget the numbers and transfer the measurements directly with the gauge / calipers / dividers / storey stick / etc :wink:

Beau":2hwf3w3d said:
Yes imperial is great for rough work.

My lathe is calibrated in Imperial. 0.001" not accurate enough for you? (or 0.0254mm if that floats your boat?) :wink:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Only having a bit of fun with the old timers :D

Beau":3qjr37jx said:
Only having a bit of fun with the old timers :D

:D

There all just numbers on a scale to me. I'd be quite happy using a stick calibrated in bananas (and subdivided into tangerines). But like Phil.p's 20ths ruler, I run into trouble if I get it confused with my Satsuma-calibrated stick........

I did read a long time ago that this Country's government back in the '60s (iirc) believed that the USA were to go metric, hence the willingness to go along with it. Pity they either did or didn't instead of the halfy halfy system we have now.

phil.p":1hb1vt22 said:
Pity they either did or didn't instead of the halfy halfy system we have now.

Quite agree. Where's the logic in selling ply in 6 / 9 / 12 / 18mm sizes?

DTR":3e6d5o5y said:
phil.p":3e6d5o5y said:
Pity they either did or didn't instead of the halfy halfy system we have now.

Quite agree. Where's the logic in selling ply in 6 / 9 / 12 / 18mm sizes?

I thought they chose 18mm because it's twice the distance between the average persons nostrils?

And it gets worse, we are the only country that uses 15mm copper pipe, in Europe they use 1mm walled copper in 6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22 each one fitting inside the other for straight soldered joints without couplers, despite the change to PER and Multicouche by most jobbing builders, copper is still used by most half decent Artisans.

Mike

Woodmonkey see what you started 72 people wasting their respective time and 1122 posts in five days, must be some kind of record.

Mike

Woodmonkey":2zxdangk said:
I just wanted to gloat about my new rulers!

Hello,

They are bloody RULES. At least us Imperial guys can speak English, what have the Europeans done to us! :D

Mike.

When I went to school they were called rulers. Rules were what you had follow to not get in trouble.
Cue another 6 pages of pointless arguing! I'm off to play with my new RULERS!

MikeJhn":23zi5xs0 said:
And it gets worse, we are the only country that uses 15mm copper pipe, in Europe they use 1mm walled copper in 6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22 each one fitting inside the other for straight soldered joints without couplers, despite the change to PER and Multicouche by most jobbing builders, copper is still used by most half decent Artisans.

Mike
I seem to remember that when McLaren built their facility near Woking they didn't want any "Mickey Mouse" stuff in it. I think the plumbers were banned from bringing copper pipe on site. Plastic was also frowned upon except for waste systems. I believe it was all done in stainless steel wherever possible. A great deal of attention to detail was also applied, all pipes had to be straight and level and an equal distance from each other. No pipes were allowed to cross any other pipes either. God knows where they found plumbers able to do the job to this standard. :lol:

I remember working for years in a building that had been re plumbed with stainless steel during the copper shortage (due to the embargo on S. African exports) in the mid '60s. The stainless was a poor quality alloy and every once in a while would blow a rusty pin hole, which being small would sometimes be leaking for months before anything showed. Horrible stuff.

Back