The holy grail of steel rulers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been yearning for a long while for a steel rule with mm graduations on each edge without half mm graduations which they all seem to have, and which make my head hurt when staring at them for too long.
Found some here if anyone's interested (scroll down to the ones that say "pick up"
https://www.fine-tools.com/shinwa-ruler.html
I've ordered a few different lengths, can't wait!

Might want to wait until they turn up until you give them Holy Grail status :D

My idea of a great steel rule would be :

- Just Metric
- Zero reference on BOTH ends
- sloped sides so that you can more accurately make your mark

They look nice. I'd like one of the little "pick up" ones but they want €9.90 shipping for something that would fit in a DL envelope. :roll:

Edit. Got one on Amazon for a fiver with free postage. :D at least I won't have trouble picking it up off the bench now!

woodpig":1a7tri2v said:
They look nice. I'd like one of the little "pick up" ones but they want €9.90 shipping for something that would fit in a DL envelope. :roll:

Edit. Got one on Amazon for a fiver with free postage. :D at least I won't have trouble picking it up off the bench now!

Really? The same one? Link please....

Woodmonkey":2bhnl87s said:
woodpig":2bhnl87s said:

Really? The same one? Link please....

It's a Shinwa 13131:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shinwa-pickup- ... inwa+13131

Well spotted sir, I must confess I didn't think to check amazon, although it looks like that's the only size available there, and it's coming from Japan so you may be waiting a while for it!

Awesome, I had to pick one up (pun intended)

Never quite understood the need for 0.5mm graduations on a rule, seems pointless to me.

My dear mom would be turning in her grave, She used to work for Raybone Chesterman. The Machine she used to work on is in Thinktank in Birmingham!

Woodmonkey":9sdlnyln said:
Well spotted sir, I must confess I didn't think to check amazon, although it looks like that's the only size available there, and it's coming from Japan so you may be waiting a while for it!

I had a look on the Shinwa site to get the code number, 13131. A Google search of Shinwa 13131 and Amazon came up as one of the top results.

I find small rules handy to keep next to machines but they are so thin they are difficult at times for me to pick up. The 13131 with the raised end sounded like a good solution. Nice to know as well that I'm not the only person to have this problem! :lol:

Rorschach":v4kzptc1 said:
Never quite understood the need for 0.5mm graduations on a rule, seems pointless to me.

Well thats a daft thing to say ;)

Although I must admit, I have never used them and they do distract from the single increments

Back