The holy grail of steel rulers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine finally arrived. Really nice bit of kit, feels good in the hand, nice size and very clear markings. Just what i was looking for. My only criticism (not their fault of course) is that there are useful markings and charts on there that I can't understand because they are in Japanese! haha.

They are very nice, not quite the holy grail though as the scale is in cm rather than mm. The search continues!

MikeJhn":1jwl74hy said:
Ahh yes our American cousins will not let go, thats why all our woodworking machines have Imperial fittings and slots, such a nuisance and now we have Trump Arghhhhhhhh

Mike
As a U.S. citizen living in Germany for nearly 20 years, I have fully adopted the metric system...mainly because I have little choice when buying locally or working with European engineers. However, I do remember helping my neighbor in Virginia work on his Norton 850 Commando many years ago and trying to figure out the Whitworth system for his spanners and sockets.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the other differences in measurement, such as pounds, kilos, and stones (I still don't understand the stone concept).

I knew the conversion, just not where it originated and why it is still used. It must be "one of those things." :mrgreen:

A Stone was a regularised piece of Granite that was used as a counterbalance on a set of scales at medieval UK markets, it just so happened it weighed approximately 14lbs most weighing systems in Imperial stem from that.

Mike

Back