The Grand Tour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worn thumbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought by now we might have seen some comments about the Grand Tour on Amazon.I watched the first episode and thought it was a lot better than the most recent episodes of Top Gear.Anybody else seen it?

Yep. It was good, way better than Top Gear's latest incarnation, but that doesn't take much. I skipped a fair bit of it because I felt they dragged the segments out. Theres only so long I can watch fast cars being driven around aimlessly. The chaps seemed to run out of things to say. "poo is coming out" is funny once....it was all just a bit lacking, except the production values, which were top dollar.

New pro driver isn't a substitute for the comedy of the Stig's sections I dont think. I used to laugh when they put on a teach yourself japanese CD or something. Now it's just a guy who looks like he has diabetes, a heart condition, eats bad food, drinks too much and may well expire at any time. Perhaps that is the punchline?

They need to replace the IP they lost with Top Gear with something new and I don't think they've got there yet.

Haven't seen it but I do know the original Stig personally. :-D

Apart from a bit too much burning rubber I enjoyed it.
I can appreciate why each episode cost £1.46m (or was that dollars) to make?
The BBC made a big mistake - it certainly puts Chris Evan's show into the pale.

Rod

Watched G&T through gritted teeth wanting it to be awful. It was "meh".

They blew their wad on the big intro and the hypercar shootout that everyone had been waiting for from the last series of TG.

[conspiracy theory]I secretly think Clarkson stage managed the move away from BBC deliberately once they had the buy in from Ferrari, Porsche and MacLaren[/conspiracy theory].

Following the first show up with that difficult second episode is going to be...erm...difficult.

Totally -meh...
It just looks way too much like top-gear, I thought its going to be enjoyable Trip-Show where they go to weird places/do weird stuff, but looks like just too much like old top gear.

Intro was great

Super cars dragged on too long

The celebrity bit was dire and the worst TV I think I've seen in ages.

The fight scene was truest horrific and was the worst TV I've seen since the Grand Tour Episode 1 celebrity scene.

M2 bit was ok

Racing driver was naff

I think they just need one or two more films and stop the stupid acting and staged stuff.

The chemistry between them is enough when they just talk without the need for rubbish staged stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Camilla Long (in a pre-show interview with the three of them) summed it up pretty well when she called it "Top Gear, but with bigger ****..."

Yes, all bit obvious, and trying a bit too hard; totally agree that the mock fight and dying celebrities were puerile. Clarkson's writing mostly remains as good as always and I'll probably watch the next few out of interest, but overall the first episode just reminded me why I stopped watching Top Gear a while back, apart from the specials.

I did notice that despite the big budget James May's choice of shirts hasn't improved. :roll:

I haven't watched it yet but it's been getting great reviews from what I can see.

Did you guys watch the same thing? or are you just out for a moan :p

transatlantic":1m90fp4d said:
I haven't watched it yet but it's been getting great reviews from what I can see.

Watch it yourself and you'll know... :D

BugBear

transatlantic":o4jajyn5 said:

I did think it was ok.
As I remember they are presenting it from a different location each episode.
Also I believe there are 12 episodes as opposed to only several episodes per series that the BBC were screening (due to budget I suppose), so more to watch for the TG fans.

Harbo":3m4gpatu said:
Apart from a bit too much burning rubber I enjoyed it.
I can appreciate why each episode cost £1.46m (or was that dollars) to make?
The BBC made a big mistake - it certainly puts Chris Evan's show into the pale.

Rod

£4.5 million per episode apparently :shock:

Thoroughly enjoyed it to be honest.

Loved the intro, with Clarkson leaving the BBC.

I got the impression that the celebrities dying meant that they wouldn't be having any celebrities on this show. Same with the news.

I think they used this first episode to set their stall out for what is to come.

I agree the 3 hyper cars filled a lot of the episode, but it was a major coup getting those 3 cars all on the same track, at the same time. It was something a lot of people had been waiting for, and they delivered!

Looking forward to the next episode. I wanted to be entertained, and it didn't disappoint...

...all my own opinion, of course. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Latest posts

Back