The Ghost of Over mantles Past

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam W.

A Major Clanger
Reaction score
WOOOoooooOOOOoooooOOO!

Spooky happenings from a time gone by.

Not really......But it has left its own version of the Shroud of Turin

IMG_1594.JPG

I found the original architects drawings too.

IMG_1592.JPG

There are 2 ghosts @mwinfrance, one ghostly face looking to the right and another higher up and to the left of the first one. This one is looking to the left and into the wall with a much more detailed face.
This is a first for me, I can actually see this apparition you're talking about rather than thinking, "What the hell is he on about, I can't see a bl**dy thing!"

I've hade builders home for a couple of weeks now redoing our bathroom and laundry room. It is great to see that drawing on the walls to explain details has a long and proud history!

Seeing the architect's drawing I have the impression the builder made the bottom half and then someone said "could you just do a small alteration for me - like this?

My imagination ran riot looking at the second picture, I could see Oblio's father, Chunk, a teddybear laying down, A horseman of the Apocalypse and two clowns from Chocolate Orange, I then had to stop, time for my medicine.

What about the claw marks?

I had a house where one wall in the cellar had been built 3 ft in from the real outer wall, I decided not to investigate....

I've worked out a date for the overmantle of between 1887 and 1910 using the screws and nails as a guide.

Using fixings can be surprisingly accurate for dating, as there were numerous advances in their development and manufacture, each leaving small identifying marks on the metal objects. One for the nerdy historians and fun to do.

Here's a couple of pictures of the rear of the pediment showing how it is built up and glued and screwed....Lots of separate pieces of joinery, with all the mouldings tacked on the front of it..

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

Seeings I had it laying down, I thought I'd make a quick 1:1 sketch of it too.

IMG_1591.JPG

I can feel some making coming on.

Last edited:
I've worked out a date for the overmantle of between 1887 and 1910 using the screws and nails as a guide.

Using fixings can be surprisingly accurate for dating, as there were numerous advances in their development and manufacture, each leaving small identifying marks on the metal objects. One for the nerdy historians and fun to do.

Here's a couple of pictures of the rear of the pediment showing how it is built up and glued and screwed....Lots of separate pieces of joinery, with all the mouldings tacked on the front of it..

View attachment 158084

View attachment 158086

Seeings I had it laying down, I thought I'd make a quick 1:1 sketch of it too.

View attachment 158085

I can feel some making coming on.
There is a lot-of toxic paint going on there!

Back