The fun (?) of trying to make 16 of something look the same!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castanea

Established Member
Reaction score
After the Autumn Challenge I mentioned my dread of trying to duplicate a design, partly because I thought my goblet would look nice with a partner and partly because the next challenge is a pair of candle sticks. Chas suggested it might end up less difficult than I thought.
I haven't tried another goblet yet but it did occur to me that my daughter's boyfriend had expressed a desire for a nice chess set so I thought I'd have a play to find out how difficult it might be prior to Christmas.

I found a drawing on the web which had measurements on it and shrank it slightly to give the pawns a 25mm base. As I've printed that out full size I can hold it up to them and take caliper measurements off the drawing too.

This is what I've got so far. They aren't all the same when you look at them critically. I suspect that if you were playing chess and not looking critically they would just about pass muster. Blind man, galloping horse, etc!

I'll keep at it. These are cherry, then I've a bit of walnut for the other eight, then it's time for the difficult pieces (but a lot less of each!) and finally the horror which will be trying to carve the knights. Any support or suggestions gratefully received!

I'll try to get a better picture if I'm home before the light goes tomorrow evening.

Cheers

Ian

Pawns.jpg

Attachments

• Pawns.jpg
    Pawns.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,494
Well done Ian, they're very good =D> Your daughter's boyfriend will have the satisfaction of knowing they were uniquely hand made for him and not done mass production on a copy lathe. (hammer)

For the knights I'd carve them before turning the base so you can grip the base without damaging the turning. A coping saw and a very sharp craft knife should be adequate as long as you don't choose a very hard wood. Good luck.

Regards Keith

Mora Frost 106 carving knife on eBay. Should go through Cherry and Walnut like butter. Mine came razor sharp but maybe strop it with some autosol if you do get one.

They're about a tenner on amazon and just about every wood carver uses one regularly.

Good job by the time you have finished all 16 you should be very good at it.

BearTricks":1e59s9d7 said:
Mora Frost 106 carving knife on eBay. Should go through Cherry and Walnut like butter. Mine came razor sharp but maybe strop it with some autosol if you do get one.

They're about a tenner on amazon and just about every wood carver uses one regularly.

A thin leather belt with the smooth side stuck to a piece of MDF and some yellow or green Polishing Compound is all I use

Very nice, I look forward to seeing the finished set

Fantastic Ian =D>

I think you've executed a ruddy good job there old son. Apart from the fact the result is considerably past muster (good in fact) but what a challenge you've set yourself!!! A chess set....good for you....balls of steel I'd say :)

And you're getting all technical on us by using plans and dimensional take off's etc.....look out forum....potential competition winner here. Personally I think you should give it up Ian, yes that's it, stop entering right now, waste of time mate....at least don't enter the same time I do, there's a good chap :shock:

Many thanks for all the positive words. I can only see that they're not all exactly the same and want them perfect so it's very good to have some perspective from you all saying they look close enough. We are a bit too used to machined perfection so slight variation takes a little bit of getting used to.
As for it being a big deal setting out on a chess set - the big deal will be finishing them! Starting is easy - keeping at it is much, much harder.
And Dalboy's comment that after doing 16 I should be getting the hang of it is exactly the problem - I'll want to do another set then, better than the first one and it may drive me insane!
I'm planning to leave the knights until last and then make half a dozen of each colour so I can work away at them and hope to get a couple which will do the job. Suddenly the back end of December is feeling like it's just around the corner!
I still only have five of the required 32 pieces though so I'd better get off the laptop and into the shed.
I'm just going outside - I may be some time.

Looking good, I started a chess set about 2 years ago but it got sidelined and never got round to finishing it. Keep us updated with your progress, it might give me the incentive to carry on with mine!

I've found that when you are making something you tend to see the 'flaws' as far greater than they actually are. When these have been around a while you'll find your worries baseless (didn't mean a pun there)

Those pawns look pretty good.
I had this prob when turning knobs and shaker pegs. The answer is to make a lot, scrap a few, until you can get a matching set from the pile. This may be a large pile, by which time you will be really good at it (perhaps!) and you will also be able to match up the earlier rejects which were too good to bin.

I'd be interested whether you folks use the equivalent of a "chair stick"...

When I made the 36 knobs for our kitchen and utility cupboard doors I made a template and crib-guide that allowed me to quickly mark off key features and get the lengths right. The basic knob length (note right angle and marking pin on the top left) and diameters and finally the shape are easily checked.

IMG_20131029_092318_994_zpsc65c6abe.jpg

HTH
Jon

Back