The Fruit Bowl that ended up going Tick Tick Tick

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Popped round to see the Blister this morning for a bit of a play. As I left my workshop I grabbed the topmost blank from the shelf with a passing thought of it being a fruit bowl.

Allen keeps nagging me to design my work before I start, so he gave me a pencil and paper and we decided on a design for a fruit bowl.

We chucked up the blank and I set about truing it up. All of a sudden the blank stopped dead while the lathe continued to spin away. I'd used the wrong size drill for the screw chuck! :roll:

So we scratched our heads for a bit and fiddled about with it. After a while Allen said he'd just taken delivery of some sets of clock parts.......

DSC_0559.JPG

So we flipped it round, drilled the right size hole and screwed it back onto the screw chuck.

DSC_0558.JPG

Everything was trued up and a recess for the clock movement was taken out. The blank turned out to be some sort of Iroko and as such was extremely dry and brittle. I think this might also be a consequence of being stored in my heated workshop. I might have to start storing dried blanks in the garden shed.

DSC_0562.JPG

The back was finished with some decorative grooves and then sanded through the grits.

DSC_0568.JPG

Here Allen is truing up the front of the clock after mounting it in the chuck jaws using some tissue to protect the finish. Allen was sensible enough to be wearing his Airshield and managed to convince me that I should invest in one. Next time I'll take my AirAce with me.

DSC_0570.JPG

When it was my turn, I managed to chip out the edge and left a nasty scar on the front. It called for a quick design change which I think added to the appearance.

DSC_0572.JPG

We then very carefully cut the recess for the dial. It was another case of slowly slowly catchy monkey. Start, Stop, Start Stop until it just plopped in snuggly.

DSC_0574.JPG

Knowing my propensity to c*ck things up, Allen did the ceremonial fitting of the dials. ;)

DSC_0575.JPG

..and thar she blows.... or ticks.

Really good fun actually. Thinking on our feet and not giving up when things get challenging. Good lesson for me.

When SWMBO got home she said "oooh that's lovely, perfect present for my Mum" :roll: So it won't be hanging around for long (pub intended). Speaking of which I need to get one of those brass picture hanging thingies for it.

Very nice finished piece,Tom :D (as proven by it's instant popularity when taking it home..)
Think it looks right with the grain going east-west,as you have it.

And Allen - that big lathe still looks really nice 8)

Andrew

Nice piece of work YOU TWO. now you can see how important it is to have a plan before you start :oops: :oops: . Next time try for a clock who knows you may get a clock :lol: :lol: .
I dont know if I should meet you two at August you might be a bad influnce on me ,I'm easily led. REgards Boysie

Fantastic Tom and Allen, i think thats a real winner, look forward to seeing you progress tom, i am right behind you.

Well done Tom/Allen. It's pretty obvious you two spent a lot of TIME with this project. :lol:

Very nice looking clock. Is it important when making a clock to know what size the Pin in the middle of the clock part is??? Or is that a silly question. I have a few clock movements but not sure how deep to make the recess hole. :oops:

That's the difficult bit Dermot. You have to have that measurement spot on or it either wont fit or will expose too much of the clock shaft. We were lucky....ish ;)

Well done Both ... looks suspiciously like a 'Clockparts' digit ring...
as posted before, I've used a few of them, in various sized diameters, and they're quite good 8)

Been working on one tonight, requested as a 'retirement gift' for someone.. and tried to do it to 'spec' for the people who are presenting its requirements. Its a 'three parter' ... will try and post a piccy up if i get it finished tomorrow.

Been using some of that 'Inlace' stuff you can get from Turners Retreat and other outlets ... don't know if anyone's ever tried it.. its quite effective and relatively easy to use ! 8)

Well done on your one there... very nice !

8) :wink: :D 8)

Nice clock you've made there 8)

Thats something I've yet to try.

I often change my design whilst working on stuff through little mishaps or unseen defects in the wood, I reckon its all just part of turning :D

JT

Thinking on our feet and not giving up when things get challenging.

Thats the hardest part IMO. The rest should just well, flow.

Thats nice work there. Tom it looks like your getting comfortable in using the lathe. Well done. It will only bite if you let it.

Well done guys. Good save. Nice finish and shape. I may have made it less thick (or do I mean deep :?: ) but that is just personal preference.

Well done =D> =D>

Richard

Great work Guys and a well rescued job. I like the East West grain, I think that wood makes a very nice clock.

Mike C

Richard Findley":3tuyhp2u said:
Well done guys. Good save. Nice finish and shape. I may have made it less thick (or do I mean deep :?: ) but that is just personal preference.

Well done =D> =D>

Richard

It was designed thick , so the clock gubbins fits inside the wood rather than hang out the back :wink:

Back