small steps,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I used my woodturning lathe, second time in over five years,, but I am getting the desire to turn again after my heart attack stopped it. The item is of no consequence, just a bung for a plant pot. Actually starting the lathe and holding a couple of gouges brought back memories although today they were somewhat clumsy. Hope to make a screw chuck and then make some fruit. No more big bowls, so what to do with the 60cm square by 100mm thick yew blanks I have ??? If anyone can collect them they are welcome to them.

Attachments

• P1030787.JPG
    P1030787.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 24
Hi Woodfarmer,
I am a relative novice, and first-time poster having lurked around this forum for 6 months or so. But glad to hear you've been lured back to turning.
I have just upgraded from an Axminster hobby lathe to an older Swivel head Nova, with the intention of trying some larger bowls/platters, perhaps filled with some turned fruit - one day!
Where abouts would collection be for your Yew blanks? I'm Kent/SE London borders.

Today I used my woodturning lathe, second time in over five years,, but I am getting the desire to turn again after my heart attack stopped it. The item is of no consequence, just a bung for a plant pot. Actually starting the lathe and holding a couple of gouges brought back memories although today they were somewhat clumsy. Hope to make a screw chuck and then make some fruit. No more big bowls, so what to do with the 60cm square by 100mm thick yew blanks I have ??? If anyone can collect them they are welcome to them.

Glad to hear you're getting the desire to turn again.

If I was going down to my sisters place in La Rochelle this summer I'd pop over.

Hang on to your blanks - you'll suddenly feel the urge again!
Anyway at 600x600x100mm you could make 600 or more shaker pegs, or a 100 or so door knobs.

Welcome back. Everyone knows woodturning is more addictive than crack and Pringles...you can't stay away.
Sorry to hear about the heart attack.

As Jacob says, large blanks can be used to make small blanks, can be used to make small items. A very kind offer but hang onto them unless you're sure you'll never have a use for them.
Hope your rehab goes well.
Duncan

Thanks all.

I am hoping to return to UK (Cornwall) ATM waiting on a house purchase to complete. But I will have to give away loads of stuff, all my furniture and my near 100 year old Holbrook lathe. I have tried for years now to find a museum or historic work shop to take it without success. Best I can do is give it to a friend here who wont scrap it for the yellow metal in it. I hope to manage my motorcycle and axminster woodlathe and two trees in pots.

Hi Woodfarmer, hope your on the mend now, regarding your Holbrook lathe I know it must be hard parting with such a great machine I too have one and would not want to be without it, I would hate to think of it being scrapped I am on a forum for Holbrook lathes contact the owner and he might be able to find someone that you would be able to sell it to and you would know it would be going to a good home.
[email protected] put this into an e-mail address and he will find it.

To where in Cornwall are you moving? I assume you've already bought - I'm in the middle of one of the poorest areas and houses are being sold before they've even hit the market. A new two bed house up the road with no view, no parking, no front garden (not even a pavement) and about 20 square metres of lawn (in concrete pans - I don't know how long that'll last) was attracting offers of over the £250,000 before it went on the market. A tiny two bed cottage (parking for one, no garden) next to it went for £215,000 (or over) the day it went on the market. Very, very little is on the market for more than a week.

To where in Cornwall are you moving? I assume you've already bought - I'm in the middle of one of the poorest areas and houses are being sold before they've even hit the market. A new two bed house up the road with no view, no parking, no front garden (not even a pavement) and about 20 square metres of lawn (in concrete pans - I don't know how long that'll last) was attracting offers of over the £250,000 before it went on the market. A tiny two bed cottage (parking for one, no garden) next to it went for £215,000 (or over) the day it went on the market. Very, very little is on the market for more than a week.

I know, originally I thought to go to sw wales (Milford haven area) because of the cheaper prices and availability of moorings, But wife changed her mind so it is Cornwall and a smaller boat :( We sold 4 bedroom farmhouse with pool, barn, 6x4metre new greenhouse & new 6x4 metre chick rearing house (block) and I threw in the tractor and all its implements to work its 40 acres. What we got for it wasn't enough to buy a 2 up 2 down in Cornwall :( so had to use some of my boat fund. Now waiting for the sale to complete..........
PS good old Cornish name there :) I plan to name the boat "Jan Luke"

The commonest Cornish surname, and Camborne - Redruth has the highest number per capita.

A Jan Luke(r?) was apparently a job done on the side - I knew a chap with a fishing boat named Jan Luke - he worked at the hospital and that was where all the materials he built it with came from.

House prices in Cornwall have gone even crazier. My auntie in Redruth is worried that her landlady is going to cash in & sell the house she rents, the value has gone up so much. My cousins are in their 30s and have no chance of getting on the property ladder. Not good news for locals.

I live a couple of miles from Redruth. My daughter and her man, both 26, bought in 12/20 (without help, well done them!), - they are so glad they did. They paid £165,000 and they'd be lucky to buy it now for £200,000. A dump of a "character Cornish cottage" up the road sold for £300,000 - the buyer has knocked down two extensions and virtually gutted it.

House prices in Cornwall have gone even crazier. My auntie in Redruth is worried that her landlady is going to cash in & sell the house she rents, the value has gone up so much. My cousins are in their 30s and have no chance of getting on the property ladder. Not good news for locals.

There are a lot of factors working against landlords continuing renting out. The rise in house prices is only one. The second is the government 2-3 years ago increased tax on rental income from 20% like everybody else to 27.5% and the cost of accountancy fees, maintenance and insurance does not help. Especially for older landlords without children. a 200k house will get about £8600 a year. take out the tax 2370 and 700 for accountancy and insurance and you are left with 5,500 a year income. Sell it for £200,000 and draw out 11,000 a year for 18 years.... no work, no tax and no worries. Once you are past retirement age this prospect starts to become attractive. or 8k for 25 years ?

Back