the forgotten 10 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerdeira

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Apparently discrimination also affects tools. I'm specifically talking about the discontinued stanley 10 1/2. I use mine as a smoothing plane, for cleaning rebates and even tenon cheeks. I've never missed my #5 again.

Overall it's a multi purpose plane that performs well and is suitable for fine work but has received no attention by manufacturers. LN makes a version of its larger brother which I frankly find clumsy and never figured out why this one apparently went into oblivion.

Would like to hear your comments

regards

J. Cerdeira

cerdeira":3hiat7pw said:
Hi,

Apparently discrimination also affects tools. I'm specifically talking about the discontinued stanley 10 1/2. I use mine as a smoothing plane, for cleaning rebates and even tenon cheeks. I've never missed my #5 again.

Overall it's a multi purpose plane that performs well and is suitable for fine work but has received no attention by manufacturers. LN makes a version of its larger brother which I frankly find clumsy and never figured out why this one apparently went into oblivion.

Would like to hear your comments

regards

J. Cerdeira

It needs a strange shaped blade, which has a shorter working life, and the design of the body leads to weakness (or higher cost materials to compensate).

BugBear

My n°10 (I don't have a 10 1/2) is the less-used plane in my shop. I prefer a n°5 or a large shoulder plane when needed. Indeed it's a beautiful plane 8)

Latest posts

Back