The "Corby" Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the nice comment folks, much appreciated.

Sorry Wizer, I'm already spoken for, but I'll put you on my list just in case :lol:

DeanN":sv9leeyk said:
Very nice - too nice to use though, especially that polished top. What finish did you use on it ?

The top is finished with four coats of Ronseal satin coated polyurethane varnish. I would normally rub down between coats but after info found on the finishing forum I only rubbed down the last coat with 600 grit and its very smooth.

TheTiddles":sv9leeyk said:
I think the cabinet base doesn't fit with the standard of the top, maybe a future project there.

Not sure what you mean Aidan, unless its the feet, which I must admit was the best I could think of to increase the height.

Hi Shultzy,
Brilliant project and well explained with pic's and comments, thank you very much, being a novice to woodworking you have give me the incentive to have a bash at making your bench also your router table, cant wait superb.

ibcallus

Cracking use of recycled timber Shultzy. The bench looks fantastic ! I like the method you used for leveling the top. With suitable sized bearers, any size top could be leveled then 8) Ace :!: Your vice jaws im particularly keen on to-May have to nab that idea if you dont mind :lol:

Simon

Hi Shultzy

A fantastic bench, and a beautifully illustrated WIP, for which I thank you.

Feedback time: you have now had it available for use for about 9 months. Could we have a progress report please? Does the heavy duty top really make all that difference? How has the undercarriage worked in practice? How did you feel when you first scratched the top? Do the drawers collect great quantities of dust? With hindsight is there anything that you would do differently? Have you been able, or been inspired to construct better quality work because of the bench?

I only ask, as I feel a growing urge to build something better than my ancient (and rather warped) warhorse of a bench. Is it really worth all of the work?

Cheers
David

Thanks for asking, I never thought to revisit the finished build but here goes:-

Acanthus":2g1ws3cg said:
Does the heavy duty top really make all that difference?

Yes, it gives it mass which is needed to make the bench stable, it really is heavy. I've bent metal in the vice without the bench moving at all.

How has the undercarriage worked in practice?

Great, because of the plywood panels (more mass) it doesn't rack one bit.

How did you feel when you first scratched the top?
A bit miffed really as it's usually covered with a sheet of hardboard if I'm using chisels. It was from a bit of grit picked up from the floor on a table leg I was moving on the top. Apart from knocks on the edges its hardly marked. I do try to keep it unmarked but it is a working bench so I'm not too bothered.

Do the drawers collect great quantities of dust?

No dust gets in unless I leave them open.

With hindsight is there anything that you would do differently?

I think I would have had two sets of three drawers. Only because if I try to open them using one handle they are heavy. Using both handles they glide out very easily.

Have you been able, or been inspired to construct better quality work because of the bench?

Not really as I'm always inspired to construct good quality work. In 40 years of woodworking this is the first "quality" bench I've had and it has made holding wood easier, and therefore the quality is more attainable.

Is it really worth all of the work?

Only you can answer this question. I made it because I wanted a good bench. The quality of it was derived from viewing the many excellent benches and constructive comment from our members. The "worth" comes from the "I made that" at the end of the build. When people more able than me can only "nit-pick" I know I've made quality work.

Sorry to bump this project. I, as many others, had the photos on the Fotopic web site which went "belly up" last April. I've managed to recover the pictures and now host them on Picasa, so after re-editing the locations they are now all available.

Latest posts

Back