The "Corby" Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shultzy

Your going to end up with a fantastic bench, well done.

=D> =D> =D>

Neil

joiner_sim":1ct0pbvi said:
What does the jig slide on, and how is it secured and made accurate?

The accuracy starts from the two beams that support the jig. Lord Nibbo used cramp bars but I don't have any long enough so I used lengths of beech which will be used to surround the worktop. These need to be level side to side and front to back. The jig runners thickness is not critical as long as they are the same thickness and higher than the worktop. I used 3/4" mdf for the router base and side support. These are squared and screwed to the jig slide. The jig doesn't need to be square across the table, it just has to be the same height at either end above the support rails.

Shultzy":av9yimtb said:
joiner_sim":av9yimtb said:
What does the jig slide on, and how is it secured and made accurate?

The accuracy starts from the two beams that support the jig. Lord Nibbo used cramp bars but I don't have any long enough so I used lengths of beech which will be used to surround the worktop. These need to be level side to side and front to back.

This pic might make it clearer for joiner sims questions.

249121238_5049f35a57.jpg

Spot on shultzy with the importance of getting the two long rails exactly level with each other and checking/correcting them to remove any possibility of winding in the length, it's hard to see in the little pic but I used shims between the long rails and the clamps that pass under the top.

I know when you get to sanding it you will be please as punch how flat and level it will be in fact it will be perfect.

=D>

Glue the sides and bolt the ends, adding some dowels or similar to the sides helps too

Aidan

I'm very pleased. Its been over 40 years since I last made any hand-cut dovetail joints, and I've never made any of the half-blind variety. These have turned out reasonably well although I'm miffed that with the bench in this position only one of the joints will be visible and it wasn't one of the better ones.

The top is now as smooth as a baby's bottom after a hand application of some 320 Abranet, and ready for the finish. Attention is now focused on taking the Record 53E apart, cleaning up and re-oiling. I'm going to make the replaceable cheeks out of pine 3/4" thick with an additional 1" thick beech cover for the front jaw.

Workbench011.JPG

Finishing post in sight Shultzy. I think it looks very good.

That looks fantastic. I don't think I have any hope of mine coming out as nice as that!

Well done Shultzy.

Finished at last. I put the last coat of finish on it last night and de-nibbed it with 600 grit this morning. Its in its final resting place(!) at the entrance to the workshop. It looks good enough for the kitchen but perhaps I shouldn't show swimbo just in case :lol: .

Workbench012.JPG

The outside of the jaws are in beech with the jaw pads in pine I think. Might have to take a pic of the face to see if anybody can identify it.

Workbench013.JPG

Tremendous, well done. Something that will last for the rest of our life.

ooops :oops: I think that's twice this week you've caught me out Simon. :roll:

I think the cabinet base doesn't fit with the standard of the top, maybe a future project there...

Aidan

Back