The "Corby" Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just finished phase two - the drawers.

Workbench009.JPG

They are 30" wide and 17" deep on 450mm full extension slides. The fronts are recycled "bed-slats" lippings around the remains of my workshop roof. The sides are 12mm ply and the base is 12mm mdf with a central muntin.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will no doubt notice that the muntin on view is not central. I ran out of 12mm mdf so I had to glue two pieces end-on to fit.

Coming along nicely. I like that this is all reclaimed wood.

Look forward to seeing it Shultyz.

On a side not, when you made the top did you do anything with the ends of the lengths to make them butt up to the 6 inch strips better?

9fingers":2r3neq97 said:
Possibly like this one? http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... 0_130.html
with associated spindle and bearings
Bit hairy to use free hand but OK with care.

Bob

I've got the 10mm slot cutter in this range and use it quite a lot along with a stop bearing to cut 19mm deep, I have to slow my router down to about 1/4 of it's speed, it cuts superbly worth every penny. Using the 8mm arbour make the tool very versatile in changing the cutters and bearings.

Chems":1293ntbj said:
On a side note, when you made the top did you do anything with the ends of the lengths to make them butt up to the 6 inch strips better?

I had problems with the short pieces, as they slid about when I clamped them up. I just tapped them up before I finally tightened the clamps up.

As most of you have guessed the grooving cutter is from Wealdens. Its 6mm slot cutter and I chose this thickness as I thought that the 12mm cutter might produce too tight a slot for 12mm ply. Also a 6mm slot cutter will cut any width slot above 6mm which makes it a little more versatile.

Derek,

I think you will find most suppliers will do grooving cutter and a selection of shanks. A quick flick through catalogues beside my armchair show that Trend, Titman and axminster(CMT) all do what you are asking for.

Good luck

Bob

Yes, they have a 1/2 inch arbour. These are great cutters, although almost as pricey as spindle tooling!

Apologies Derek,

I did not realise you wanted a 12.7 cutter - I only checked shank size :oops:

As Jake states Wealden do sell a 1/2" shank to take 8mm groovers. just search for "arbor" or T3043-1/2 Arbor 8.

Bob

Managed to source the beech for the workbench top from Capricorn Timber in Marchington (about 16miles north of Lichfield). I paid £32.54 cu ft (+vat) for two boards (1 1/4" x 9"x7' and 2"x7"x11'). Its a very large site and the people there are very friendly. All the wood is under cover and they will let you sort for a board. The only down side is you need to phone to make an appointment as they won't serve the public if they are very busy loading and unloading large quantities of timber.

I think this needs to go on our timber suppliers list.

http://www.capricorntimber.co.uk

After restraining myself from using the workshop over Christmas, Ive finally managed to progress the workbench. I've machined the sides and ends from the beech I bought and used them to support the surfacing jig (thanks Lord Nibbo). After leveling the top I set the sides at 1/2" below. I set the surfacing bit ( http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... m_249.html ) level to the worktop surface and fixed the depth stop. I then routed out both sled runners. I set the router to a further 0.25mm and routed the first pass from the right in about 30mm strips.

Fortunately the initial planing and gluing was reasonably accurate and I only needed a further 0.75mm (taken in two passes) to make the top completely flat.

I had to shim the lhs of the router base a fraction as the passes were leaving a step of about the thickness of two pieces of paper.

I think the shading on the top is the "nap" due to the router blade direction but will sand out. I'll get the sander out tomorrow and shine it up :D.

Workbench010.JPG

Latest posts

Back