The best way to hang larder door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have nearly finished the wifes kitchen. Sheela, (My wife), wants the larder door to match the kitchen units doors. The door will be made of 15mm laminated chipboard, (the normal stuff from a local DIY store). The door size will be 610mm wide x 2020mm long x 15mm thick. I am aiming to hang the ironing board on the back.

My question is, what would be the best way to hang the door, (bearing in mind the weight of the ironing board on the back), what size hinges, what type of hinge, how many hinges, in what position?

I think that's it.

The hinge side of the doorway has a 22mm plank screwed to the wall. My thinking was, if using butt hinges, to screw through the plank into the wall for added strength.

All comments and sugestions welcome.
ATB Gary.

I'd use consealed kitchen hinges they will take a greater load than trying to screw into the side or face of conti board as the 35mm hole takes most of teh weight.

Use 4 or 5 hinges on that size of door

Jason

Hi Jason. Hi Paul.

Thanks for your replies.

I have already bought the board. It was the only size they had.

To be honest, I was thinking of using butt hinges screwed through the 22mm door frame into the wall, and the other flap bit of the hinge into the back face of the board not the edge as norm. concealed kitchen hinges do sound better.

Thanks again guys.

ATB Gary.

Hi Guys.

I have a problem. The door I want to hang will be recessed like a normal interior door, not like a kitchen cabinet door. The concealed hinges that I have are of the conventional kitchen cabinet type. Is there a concealed hinge that will do the job in hand, (Hang a recessed door)?

I hope you can help. Sheela needs her cupboard back.

ATB Gary.

I would imagine that the frame you are using is an existing man door frame? If so why not us a door? a flat one or even laminate a sheet of plywood to the chipboard and edge band it or laminate solid wood for the hinges. It's hard to say without knowing what the existing kitchen looks like.

By the sounds of it i would assume it is simulated wood vinyl doors or you wouldn't be using the chip board. Do they have any wardrobe doors that could fit that match?

:oops: Sorry for not replying sooner.

Cheers for the link Paul. It came in very handy.
I have ordered 4 inset hinges, they have been delivered and I have fitted them. Just waiting for the filler to dry. Tomorrow, fit the door jam and paint.

Thank you all for your help and advice.
ATB Gary.

Latest posts

Back