The best turning tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can someone give me a round about figure for an half decent set of tools?
I bought a cheap set (I know....I know :roll: ) and I think they will be used for opening the tins of paint etc....

Am I looking at £100? or is there any cheaper sets that would suit a newbie?

Thanks.

Hi RPM
My advice would be 'don't buy a set'

I'd suggest buying a tool from a recognised quality maker/manufacturer...

which tool??? Start with the one that you use most frequently... by building up your own 'set' you'll probably spend at least £100 but not all in one go... and you'll have tools that you will use...

meantime take a good look at your budget set... how many of them do you use?

The simple difference between a well sharpened good set or cheap set is the number of times they need re-sharpening.

Thanks oldsoke,

I think I will go for your idea of buying just the one to start.
I am interested in trying to turn a bowl or two, so I may go for the gouge (if thats right?)

Geeezzz! sooo many tools....so little money :cry: :D

Thanks for the reply. :wink:

If you are trying bowl turning then a 3/8" bowl gouge for work upto about 8" or if you will be doing larger bowels then a 1/2" one will be better.

I have quite a few from Crown Tools but Hamlet, Henry Taylor and Sorbey are all good makes.

Other useful tools will be a Roughing gouge, parting tool and a large scraper with a rounded end. If you are using a dovetail chuck grind a dedicated scraper from one of your cheap set.

Jason

RPM
if you want to reduce costs you may consider turning your own handles as the unhandles tools are cheaper... only about 2-3 quid though!

Have a look through the mags in WH Smiths... for a firm called Benmail, it's a useful guide to prices (use it to haggle :wink: )

as Jason says, a 3/8 (9mm) bowl gouge is a good one to start with... at your stage I wouldn't recommend a 1/2 inch (13mm)... too much temptation to take heavier cuts :shock:

I have a Crown 3/8 bowl gouge that I also use on spindle work ... I've also been known to use a 1/4 spindle gouge on hollowing goblets :shock:
point here is... experiment within your expertise :wink:

Back