The beginnings of my workshop - workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangokid

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty happy to have picked up the below workbench! Its the start of my (proper) workshop (I hope)...

IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4792.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

A local woodworker had passed away a while back and his son was selling this workbench. I snapped it up, think it's pretty cool and the guy thinks its probably as old as me! A little bit of history.... Personally I think there is some great workmanship in this, it has certainly seen some use, with a good share of marks in the top. It's 7 foot by about 2.5 foot.

However, it had been sitting in the sons garage for a while, used for nothing more than storing the usual garage bits and could do with a clean up. Has anyone any tips on that? I'm thinking to clean it down with some sugar soap and then sand it and then an oil? Any details on the exact approach to take with sanding or oil is appreciated, I'd rather not make a mess of it!

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4788.JPG
    IMG_4788.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • IMG_4792.JPG
    IMG_4792.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,265
  • IMG_4789.JPG
    IMG_4789.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,265
Depending on what type of work you're,planning on, it may benefit from a plane to flatten it. I'd scrub with stiff brush to remove embedded grit and then flatten it with a no 7 or similar.

Good find! I'd be well chuffed if I'd found that. You'll just need to keep your eyes open for a couple of hold fasts.

SVB":7hu7owtx said:
Depending on what type of work you're,planning on, it may benefit from a plane to flatten it. I'd scrub with stiff brush to remove embedded grit and then flatten it with a no 7 or similar.

Thanks, sounds like a good plan, and only fitting to do it by hand I think. Any tips for finish after that?

Hot stuff":15wm1lpa said:
Good find! I'd be well chuffed if I'd found that. You'll just need to keep your eyes open for a couple of hold fasts.

Thanks, I was well chuffed myself! Hold fasts are next on the list for it after some clean up. 8)

I agree about the planing as the best way to get it flat. But if you are not yet confident to take that on (assuming you're a beginner, apologies if you are not) I suggest you put something like flooring grade chipboard on the top and work on that for a while.

When you have planed the top, I suggest good old boiled linseed oil. Cheap, easy to use and enough protection from dirt, glue and cups of coffee.

AndyT":1d7karf7 said:
I agree about the planing as the best way to get it flat. But if you are not yet confident to take that on (assuming you're a beginner, apologies if you are not) I suggest you put something like flooring grade chipboard on the top and work on that for a while.

When you have planed the top, I suggest good old boiled linseed oil. Cheap, easy to use and enough protection from dirt, glue and cups of coffee.

Thanks for the tip on the linseed oil.

Yes, very much a beginner though I have a couple of planes but your right, I would need some more experience and no doubt a better plane, before I tackled the bench.

Back