The Ad-Vice, a very special wooden vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaus Kretschmar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello woodworkers,

for a few months, I'm the lucky owner of the Ad-Vice from Douglas Coates.

http://www.coatesengland.co.uk/journal/ad-vice

A tool that doesn't only work stunningly but that allows to be customized to your needs as well.

ad-v-main.jpg

A full review can be seen here

http://two-lawyers-toolworks.blogspot.d ... ck-ad.html

Klaus

Absolutely the best piece of work holding equipment I have in my workshop!

Not one day goes by without me using it. I originally thought it would rest at the back of my bench until I needed it but I haven't moved it yet since getting it...delivered personally by Douglas...such is its usefulness!

Wonderful design...

Pictures later when I get them uploaded!

Superb job Douglas my friend...outstanding!

Cheers

Jimi

I bought the D vice from Douglas (see the Douglas Coates website) and it has allowed me to use a standard 'metalworking' vice both for general work and as a superb long woodworking vice. The added bonus is the long legs Douglas puts on them which allows you to raise the height of the D vice to suit the job and also the eyes of the user - that bit will possibly appeal greatly to the more mature users.

Extremely well crafted, very strong jaws. It is used by me on every session in the workshop.

I don't get anything for saying all this but I do think that the product from great current living craftsmen should be especially promoted.

I have a D vice and have seen an Ad vice up close. I can confirm that the level of design and construction is absolutely top notch. Douglas is not the sort of maker who will say "that will do" but will continue to experiment, refine and actively seek feedback from his customers until they are happy as well.

Also, I know that Klaus was not asked to provide his review but did so because as a talented craftsman himself he recognises quality from others. Bravo!

It's a good idea.
Like a lot of people I've been doing the same for years but with various sizes of engineers vice. Smaller ones usually come with a screw clamp or if not you can mount them a block of wood and hold this in your bench vice. You could add wooden jaws too but I've never quite felt the need.

I probably should have made it clear in the opening post already, that I purchased the tool at the regular price. And -as Andy wrote already- there wasn't any duty to do a review at all. The only thing, Douglas asked me, was to give him feedback if I would detect any downside while using the tool. My feedback was rather little however. The tool worked from the very beginning better than I had expected. This was my motivation to share my experience with the tool by reviewing it. I never would review a tool that I couldn't recommend wholeheartedly.

Klaus

Thanks Klaus for taking so much time to do this, so many pics!! Nick happens to have the very first prototype (SS last year) though I have to confess a number of evolutions have occured since, it was my best shot at the time Nick! (and I recall working against the clock to make the festive deadline).
It is still evolving in very small increments now - i'd say what Klaus has which is the genuine official production No1 is the thing, but for his own fast-change faces.
I admit it, I just like making vices (and benches) - I really like the fusion of engineering and working with wood in as precise a way as I can.
Thanks Martin also, and for the apple crowns. It's good to know you all.

MartinCox":1swt23za said:
The added bonus is the long legs Douglas puts on them which allows you to raise the height of the D vice to suit the job and also the eyes of the user - that bit will possibly appeal greatly to the more mature users.
I too have a D vice and can testify to its excellence. I find the ability to raise the height very useful to avoid backache and to bring the work within range of my eyes without glasses :)

Douglas takes great pains to develop his designs and rejects anything that doesn’t satisfy his exacting standards – I’ve seen the “graveyard” of discarded prototypes and vice parts.

The prototype that I received through secret Santa last year was amazing considering it was just that -to prove it works. It's great. I see the newer clamping lock looks interesting though, Douglas.

phil.p":2z8e04hp said:
I don't doubt these things are very beautiful, well made and useful - but I wonder how much something I'd be afraid to use would benefit me. :)

The bits you bash come off and are replaceable Phil and none are beyond the capability of even a casual carpenter to replace .....such is the simplicity.

I have used mine extensively for months and Douglas came over yesterday...did a quick inspection...muttered something about "leather" but declared it fit for another few years before the next inspection!

ALFIE gave him a big kiss to say "thank you!!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jimi

Back