Tenons!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabs

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Quick Question about tenon placement in laminated mortices (handtool build)

I know titebond say it's stronger than wood etc...
but is it ok to site the mortice into the lamination point? i.e into the side of the glue up?
if I think practically about this I end up imaginging two halvlings / halflap that are encased together - nay, better because the tenon stock is a solid lump of wood!
so I think it'll be fine...

but does it actually matter mechanically? or does it come down to aesthetic?

...I'd also be keen to hear best practices as I'm trying to refine things

...for the workbench project (softwood)

Thanks so much.

Pabs.

Attachments

• 20230809_171749.jpg
    20230809_171749.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230809_171803.jpg
    20230809_171803.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Perfectly fine, a door I made out of oak, styles spilt and turned back on themselves to reduce twist and bow. Nearly 20 years old now.

IMG_2822.jpeg

I like the expansion gap ;)
The styles have shrunk in the kitchen, we still have a ‘wonderful’ climate warming AGA so it’s always around 50C in there. It’s an old chapel, so I left them protruding as they shrank….…..as I tell the wife…….truth is CBA to plane them back smooth😂

The rails are split and glued back on themselves too! I think I messed up with that rail looking at the photo, you can see I didn’t flip it. Always room for improvement🤪

Perfectly fine, a door I made out of oak, styles spilt and turned back on themselves to reduce twist and bow. Nearly 20 years old now.

View attachment 164254
thanks, does that mean you've ripped down the entire length of the style and then glued it up again in opposing orientation? and I can't make it out but are your tenons wedged as well?
ta
pabs

thanks, does that mean you've ripped down the entire length of the style and then glued it up again in opposing orientation? and I can't make it out but are your tenons wedged as well?
ta
pabs
Yep, the rails and styles were ripped, planed and turned and glued back together again. The tenons are wedged.
I’ve made them with booked matched styles before today, ripped both styles and swapped one half of each style with the other. Most don’t notice it, but it made me smile when they did. It’s not an absolute guarantee that it won’t move, twist or bend, but it reduces the amount / chance down significantly IMO.

The wedged tenons are not acting against as such the glue line, it’s still pressing on end grain of the styles.

Back