Template Routing - which Bits ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusses

Established Member
Reaction score
I do a fair bit of pattern/template cutting in 12mm MDF, and plan to do a lot more in other woods too.

Currently I'm using a collar and a standard 3/8 twin flute straight bit (because I had one) to plunge through with a hand held router and cut the 12mm in one pass.

I was wondering what Bit you would use for this application ?

I would guess that maybe a spiral bit would work better ? Is this the type used for CNC ? as it's basically that kind of cut that I am doing hand held.

If I use thicker wood/sheet, how deep can I cut, with the correct cutter, in one pass ? I've done 3/4 ply before, and that seemed OK

Cheers

Rich

Your router might struggle with thicker hardwoods. Ply is quite soft. If you have a slightly larger collar - say +2mm on your current one, you could go round in step on the depth with the larger collar and full depth clean up cut with the current one.

I've often wondered about the spiral bits but a look at the prices tend to make me stick with straight two flute cutters!

Bob

Speed is the name of the game here. I'm looking to use one pass for small production work.

I've seen the CNC machines whizzing about, so I just want to go a bit faster with hand held.

Maybe a small CNC would be the better long term answer, but for now, there is no budget for that.

Spiral cutters do cut much faster. I have a 1/2" and two 1/4" ones and often use them for templates. I would however not recommend cutting full depth with them as they are solid tungston carbide and may shear under too much pressure. They are expensive but last so much longer than a standard two flute cutter. They are great for plunge cutting. HTH.

thanks mailee

in my head, I can see the Sainty CNC video he put up, full depth cut an amazing linear speed !

I suppose if it cuts fast enough, I can then make two passes.

I'm already looking to make a DIY CNC....

Latest posts

Back