Teach me to hand plane? please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ajbell":3dwb9208 said:
I had seen the fence attachments but don't think I can use one on my
#5 stanley, but anything is possible with a bit of lateral thinking.

They're much less versatile (and less accurate) than using a mildy cambered edge as per 100 years of tradition and/or Charlesworth.

Also, I am not using winding sticks - so I will try this out.

Strongly recommened, and easy and cheap to make.

Getting a straight cut along the length of the edge seems OK it
is across the thickness which gives me problems.

If you're NOT dubbing the start, and (even more usual...) the end, you're doing well already.

Thickness is not a "given" when hand planing. The "reference" of the plane body is only 2", which is not enough guidance.

If the board is already parallel, you MUST take a series of parallel strokes across the width to maintain it parallel.

And, you MUST check that the surface you're planing is being maintained both straight and parallel.

Either use a straight edge, or the edge of the plane.

Another way to make the checking quick is to plane a chamfer all around the board down to the gauged line. This means that the thickness of the waste to be removed can now be seen from the top, which is helpful. (tip courtesy John Gunterman on OLDTOOLS IIRC)

With more experience, you can do more planing and less checking, since the consequences of you planing actions will become memorised.

As J Kingshott pointed out, there is no limit to the accuracy and amatuer can work to, since (s)he can check the work after every shaving.

A professional (earning a living) does not have the luxury of enough time to do that.

BugBear

ajbell":59j1an8i said:
I had seen the fence attachments but don't think I can use one on my
#5 stanley, but anything is possible with a bit of lateral thinking.

I would persevere with learning how to plane freehand rather than bother with one of those fence thingies if I were you. They are only useable in certain situations and most of your planing will need to be freehand. Once you get the knack, you'll find it's a bit like riding a bike - you'll wonder why you couldn't always do it :wink:

Keep us informed of your progress :wink:

Paul

Paul

I think I will stick with free hand for a while and maybe
think of a fence at a later date.

Will gloat when I get it mastered!

Andy

Latest posts

Back