Teabag caddy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgarry

Established Member
Reaction score
This is not up to the standard of some beautiful boxes that I have seen on here, but it is the first box that I have made so I thought I would celebrate with a thread of its own.
This is for a friend who asked for something with 4 compartments to hold fancy teabags. It is made from recycled Oak boards with a strip of lighter wood added to the top to make it a bit more interesting.

The box was constructed with drawer lock joints using a Wealden router cutter. As a final touch I splashed out on some Neat Hinges from Hawthorne Crafts which were so simple to fit that even I could do it with my skill set!

Anyway, on to the photos.

Front:
tea_box01.jpg

Side:
tea_box02.jpg

Back:
tea_box03.jpg

And some with the lid open:
tea_box04.jpg

tea_box05.jpg

tea_box06.jpg

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• tea_box01.jpg
    tea_box01.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,881
  • tea_box02.jpg
    tea_box02.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,881
  • tea_box03.jpg
    tea_box03.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 1,881
  • tea_box04.jpg
    tea_box04.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,881
  • tea_box05.jpg
    tea_box05.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,881
  • tea_box06.jpg
    tea_box06.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 1,881
Simple and neat is far preferable to fancy and fraught.
Good control of the router interlock corners, not the easiest of timbers to work with across the grain.
If that attention to detail is your first effort then you are off to a good start.

nicely made. The joints on a box like this are absolutely critical. IMHO it is less important what the joint is- aside from woodworkers, nobody really cares. You have absolutely nailed this and the dividers are fitted perfectly. I like the cutout under the lid, and the grain appears to wrap around nicely (although I can only see one corner). You have also managed to avoid chipout on the corners, which is easy to allow to happen. The only feature that I dont like is the stripe in the top, but that is my personal preference.

For a first box, well done. You wouldnt be able to tell that it wasnt from a seasoned pro, and I hope that the recipient enjoys it.

Is there any chance of a closeup of a corner, showing how it looks externally, and straight down onto the joint so that you can see how the router cutter cuts? It is always useful to find a joint that looks smart and clamps up easily and square. That is my dislike of mitre joints.

Was it this cutter? http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... B_142.html

Thanks for all the comments.

Glynne":19ow0okf said:
Lovely box Chris. What finish did you use?

The finish used is Osmo Polyx 3032.

marcros":19ow0okf said:
nicely made. The joints on a box like this are absolutely critical. IMHO it is less important what the joint is- aside from woodworkers, nobody really cares. You have absolutely nailed this and the dividers are fitted perfectly. I like the cutout under the lid, and the grain appears to wrap around nicely (although I can only see one corner). You have also managed to avoid chipout on the corners, which is easy to allow to happen. The only feature that I dont like is the stripe in the top, but that is my personal preference.

For a first box, well done. You wouldnt be able to tell that it wasnt from a seasoned pro, and I hope that the recipient enjoys it.

Is there any chance of a closeup of a corner, showing how it looks externally, and straight down onto the joint so that you can see how the router cutter cuts? It is always useful to find a joint that looks smart and clamps up easily and square. That is my dislike of mitre joints.

Was it this cutter? http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... B_142.html

I am not that keen about the stripe in the top now it is finished. I guess I have learned the lesson that less is sometimes more.

This is the actual cutter I used:
http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Onl ... A_141.html
I bought the 50.8mm version but with hindsight I should have gone with the 25.4mm version as that generates a smaller gap in the auxiliary fence that the work can catch on.

And some close up photos of the corner. The sides are only just over 12mm think which means that there is only a very thin piece of the front panel extending to cover the end grain of the side panels. Using thicker material would have made this more substantial.

closeup01.jpg

closeup02.jpg

closeup03.jpg

Attachments

• closeup01.jpg
    closeup01.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,835
  • closeup02.jpg
    closeup02.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,835
  • closeup03.jpg
    closeup03.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,835
I'd say that was a well-sized combination of cutter and timber so that there was just enough thickness at the corners. Any thicker would have been out of scale with the box and unnecessarily clumsy, but yours looks just right.

Thanks again for the comments. The box has been delivered to the recipient who is thrilled with it. That does make all the effort put into making it worthwhile, though I do get to keep the new skills I gained while making it.

Back