Tea chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anima

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in making a tea chest for various...well teas, and was hoping somebody may have some tips. sorry bad joke.
I've done a quick google and not turned up anything on making them. Commercially available ones just seem to be plain boxes.

My questions are:
Should it be a particular type of wood?
Does it need to be lined? (Wikipedia suggests foil)
Any suggestions on how to make it airtight?

Cheers

I think you probably mean a tea caddy, not a chest.

Tea chests were rough plywood boxes for tea in bulk:

tea_chest.jpg

but a caddy was a well-made box, to reflect tha value of the contents. They were often lockable, with two lead-lined compartments for tea and a glass bowl in the middle for blending:

693px-Tea_caddy%2C_Chinese%2C_with_caddy_spoon_by_Elizabeth_Morley_-_Indianapolis_Museum_of_Art_-_DSC00634.JPG

There are some constructional details for a caddy in Bernard Jones' Practical Woodworker (not dated, but I think from the 1920s) - I'll scan them for you if you like. They show that you would make a rectangular box and then make separate smaller boxes and insert them. I think you would not want to use lead foil nowadays, but the wood would need to have no smell to it - sycamore or maple would be ideal.

Another idea would be to find some nice squarish glass storage jars and use three of them - Ikea sell some that might be suitable.

Cheers Andy and Marcros.

A tea chest is exactly what I was after. I like the idea of glass jars, I will
investigate and come up with some drawings. I also like the shape of the one you scanned in. I've got a some well seasoned sycamore ready to go which is fortunate although it may not be enough...

Marcros that link I brilliant. I now have to build a spice box.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back