Tape measure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just done this to my old one:

126fs4398317.jpg

I'm in the market for a replacement tape measure so naturally I come to the Fount of 1000 Opinions so I can avoid buying a useless one. :D 5m I think (really don't need 8m like this one), imperial and metric. What's the forum's choice?

Cheers, Alf

Strangely, Wealden :shock: , particularly the models with markings on both faces of the tape.

EDIT: Well built case, retraction brake button on the bottom to save it all winding back too fast which also acts as a pull out brake. The double sided hook is really useful.

Stanley fatmax 5m is real tapemeasure,i tend to never have different brands around the shop,as once we were having problems with cabinet parts coming up short or over sized,amongst all the guys in the shop we eventually tracked it down to one guy who had an off market brand which was an eighth of an inch out over 10ft,this took a couple of weeks to detect & many wrong sized parts.
Fatmax is very sturdy,but can also fall victim to table saw,cut the old one into 12 inch/300mm lengths to use at table saw as disposables.

edit add, test-----------my fatmax buckles at 3.70m.

regards,Shivers.

I second Fatmax - it might seem a bit gimmicky and macho to make a tape that looks like its been on steroids, but the best bit is that they don't wobble around and collapse when you extend them beyond a metre or so. This means you can stick 3m or so of tape straight out in front of you without any support apart from itself, to hook the end exactly where you want it. I couldn't go back to a normal tape and all those irritating times when you get the hook nearly to where you want it and it creases over and you have to retract, straighten it out, push the end back out, etc. Maddening.

I got this one for Christmas - its very clever. Worth a look if you do a lot of internal measurements. Only 3m though...

Cheers,
Neil

My advice would be to have a good look at how the tapes are marked before you buy. That one in your picture is one of the better ones (apart from the broken bit :roll: ) where the 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2" divisions are particularly clear. On some I've used the markings are not so good and it's very easy to make mistakes when measuring. I tend to stick with the Stanley like the one you have been using.

If the rest of it is OK, you used to be able to get replacement tapes - don't know if they still do them :?

The other thing I like about the Stanley tapes is that you can mark them with a pencil when transferring measurements and rub off the pencil mark with your finger afterwards. Not sure if you can do that with all the different makes of tape measures.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I prefer the Stanley Lever Lock ones - the tape is as sturdy as the Fat Max models, but when you pull the tape out it stays out until you squeeze the lever to retract it. Far easier than having to keep engaging and disengaging the lock as you pull the tape out in stages, and avouds that infuriating moment when the lip comes off the far end of the wood, and hurtles backwards, giving you a blood blister.

B0001IW6OO.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57427801_.jpg

Hmm, interesting. I was sort of assuming there'd be a cry of anything but Stanley, given their usual rep these days. Keep it coming, folks, very useful.

Cheers, Alf

Don't throw out that tape just yet. Stanley have quite a good reputation for customer care. Give them a call and ask for the returns address(can't recall it myself) and send it back ( the tape looks visually ok) Explain that it's not been abused and not that old. I know of a couple of people who done this and got a couple of free "samples" as a goodwill gesture (myself included).

Give it a go, you've only the postage to lose.

Stephen

Holy smoke, Andy, I just looked at the price of the red one. :shock: I don't think I use my tape enough or need that degree of accuracy to justify it - sort of Festool-ish :lol:

Stephen, I'm not sure I could claim it's not that old - at least 5 or 6 years, probably more. :? I think it's fair to say I've had my money's worth, but thanks for the tip.

Cheers, Alf

I use the 8m Powerlock. Used Stanley tapes for the last 6 years after snapping a LOT of cheapo tapes. Stanleys seem to be way more resilient. The only other tape I've had that was as good as the Stanely was an old 25ft Lufkin.

010597.jpg
My dad has an account at the local George Hill's. So I go in and get some timber, and if need be get a new tape and then forget to pay my dad back :D

I want an imperial only Stanley tape, but the only way is ordering from the states. I've got a really old Stanley (imp only) but it is only 6ft in length :cry:

i have a couple of Stablia 3m 10ft units which are pretty good, and quite small. 8)
before xmas got an end of line starrett in a silver plastic case, and boy what a let down, not very accurate and badly made. hope it was a knock off really cause if starrett have gone that way there is no hope for any of us :oops:

personally i too find for under 1m50 a steel rule is the way to go, :twisted:

has any one anything good to say about the laser units????? :roll:

paul :wink:

Thats the beauty of the stanley tapes--you can buy one anywhere in the world & they are all as acurate as each other, i know it sounds like splitting hairs --but if you put that into a production enviroment--the mistakes can really become compounded if everyone uses different brands(horses mouth-experience).
Yes people can drop their & knock it out of calibration(this is one thing),but what if someone buys an offbrand thats new & swears its just as acurate--then ten pallet loads later the lefts side components don't match the right sides.

shivers.

but the whole point is to standardise your measuring gear, which is why us engineers tend to have standard blocks to test various items.

if you are using more than one tape for many people aiming to end up with the same sized items it ain't gonna work all the time too many variables.

you need one standard tape that follows the job.

paul :wink:

I think that if you use a tape measure all the time, ie dont use a panal or mitre saw with stop blocks then on a production run your going to have problems anyway but the most important factor is your pencil mark, do you cut to the middle of your pencil the left/right edge, is your pencil wearing so a bigger mark.

This seems like a debate over nothing spend over £3 on a 3m tape and it'll be ok

Back