Tap and Die recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutting42

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I need to replace some chocolate strength taps that I have so want to get a decent quality set of metric taps and dies. Any recommendations or advice. There are loads on ebay for a tenner but having been bitten before by poor quality I want a set that will last.

Help please.

TIA

I have a Facom set, both metric and imperial. However, even with Stanley Black & Decker employee discount it still cost over £300.....

Sounds lovely but I was hoping for a little less than that. My brother trained as a marine engineer and Facom was his tool maker of choice, great tools.

Or you could come and pick up these 3 sets for £99 from me.

Attachments

• clip0105.jpg
    clip0105.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 946
  • clip0106.jpg
    clip0106.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 946
  • clip0107.jpg
    clip0107.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 946
Hi

My advice is to buy Dormer, Presto or Goliath as you require them. At least that way you can be assured of the quality of the tooling and that they will probably outlast you in hobby usage. (My last auction site purchase was a Dormer metric die, BNIB for less than £10 including PP - full retail is about £50).

I've no experience of the set you have linked to but at just over £2 per item I'd have little confidence in it's longevity.

At the end of the day it boils down to how the tools will be used and your expectations of them.

Regards Mick

Thanks to all for the assistance. I am looking at light use in mainly aluminium but occasional mild steel in smaller thread sizes making metal cases for hifi components. I often use blind holes so a full set is required for each thread and it is always good to have larger sizes as well just in case!

I have decided on the Volkel set as reputation is good and my use is light so I cannot justify Dormer prices

My "set" is made up of Ebay and carboot bargains.

Pete

Just for the record, I've read that you should never use a second hand tap of unknown history. They are liable to snap, especially when the tapping is the last stage of a particularly complicated or expensive job.

With that said, I bought a crapload of imperial taps at a boot sale a few years back and they have been invaluable for fixing bits and bobs on my Myford.

Back