Tap back-nuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandad455

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All, My first post, although I have been reading a lot on here and finding it most helpful. I have been tasked with making a pair of brass bath taps usable. They are an obsolete size, 7/8"BSP tails. Sadly whoever salvaged them forgot to save the back-nuts, with out which they are useless. I have managed to concoct a pair of tap connectors to adapt for 22mm copper pipe and could make a pair of back-nuts, but would have to purchase a set of taps and a die in 7/8"BSP to do so, at enormous expense. Has anybody any 7/8" BSP back-nuts hiding in a scrap box?

Last edited:
Hi Grandad, I remember seeing a pair not so long ago so been found them then dam it they are 3/4.

IMG_20230212_1320178.jpg

IMG_20230212_1320303.jpg

Hi Grandad, I remember seeing a pair not so long ago so been found them then dam it they are 3/4.

View attachment 153295

View attachment 153296

View attachment 153295

View attachment 153296
Thanks for looking. 3/4 back-nuts are too small to enlarge to 7/8 thread and 1" ones can't get a bush to fit. Have thought about casting my own blanks if nothing else turns up.

Hi,
Have got a similar hose connector locally, almost half the price. That will be used with a 22mm straight compression connector to make the tap connector. The back nuts are a good idea, but the back-nuts needed for the taps need a big enough flange to hold the taps in place in the bath. I am now going to turn down a pair of the hose connectors and bore out a pair of 1 1/4" BSP flanged back-nuts to sweat the hose connectors in.to, which will give me the 7/8 back-nuts I need. Hope to post pictures at a later date.
Thanks for your input.
Regards, Grandad455

but the back-nuts needed for the taps need a big enough flange to hold the taps in place in the bath
Backnuts with the flange are used to make working in awkward locations easier, but nothing wrong with a washer to spread the load and hold it on the bath just that it is two items to get in place.

Back