Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skeetoids":21wzc2jt said:
Hi Chaz,
I really appreciate your turnings.
I'm beginning to learn a lot about form from your postings.
Cheers,
:)

Well someone has to post examples of what not to do haven't they. :lol:

I'm afraid I treat the spinny hobby as just a means of relaxing in the shed without too much thought about the outcome other than concentrating on safe practise and easy tooling options.

I continue to post some of my output more as encouragement for new starters than for any other reason, so many high end gallery pieces get exposure, well deserved exposure in most cases but in my opinion they can be counter productive for a new starter struggling to control basic tooling and being disheartened at the steep curve they see ahead of them.

Items and shapes that leave the premises on a regular basis tend to get repeated, they are obviously the ones that strike a cord with the majority of my visitors/outlets.

I'm old enough to have gone through a whole selection of craft/artistic quests as fashions and new boy toys changed, these days I just do my thing without any pre-conceived target of form or style, the stuff is basic, simple and as some would say mundane.
I don't care as long as the finish is the best I can achieve I know that's at least one factor that I can take some satisfaction from.

________
________Another hour spent between digging spuds and other chores.
________
________
_____________Walnut/Oak & Ash__________Beech 115 mm dia.

An hour :shock:
Take me that long to sort all the bits out and set up :lol:
Couple of great bangles again Chas,but not so keen on the ribbed bowl design :?

________
________More bits of Beech..
________
________
__________________195mm_________________155 mm dia.

________
________Pottering again
________
________
____________________Ash & Walnut 160 mm dia.

That gap at the top is getting smaller Chas.You'll soon have it down to 1/2" :lol:
Are you using your Munro tool to do these :?: Looking good :D

Paul.J":1fb4hzgn said:
That gap at the top is getting smaller Chas.You'll soon have it down to 1/2" :lol:
Not much chance of that Paul, these are 'users', folks want somewhere to stash all sorts of bits and pieces so they can find them again.

Paul.J":1fb4hzgn said:
Are you using your Munro tool to do these :?:

Not a great deal Paul, still get on better using my home made HSS (orland) cutters and 1/2" round nosed scraper on the harder, dryer woods. Bulk of undercut and centre body widening is done with lathe in reverse so that I can see what I am doing without having to rotate headstock or lean over lathe.

________
________The long road to Xmas starts.
________
________
____________________Pau Rosa 115 mm dia.

________
________Spalted Beech.
________
________

_______________________________________200 mm dia.

Yes Paul, all the recent pieces have just been sanded down to 240/320, sealed with cellulose sealer, (diluted about 30% in the case of the spalted stuff to aid penetration) and then buffed.

Protection layer on the last piece is carnauba followed by MC for added finger resistance.
Some of the others have been a mix and match of the same, with a bias to MC on the ones likely to be handled a lot.

Some really nice items have been added on here Chas since I last looked at your thread, I particularly like the spalted beech.

Regards

Steve :)

________
________Mark II a bit taller.
________
________

_______________________________________190 mm dia.

Need to try a few more of this sort of shape to get a balance between base diameter and stability with contents.

Latest posts

Back