Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chas, just read the whole thread, some wonderful pieces you have tuned here, especially the yew one of my favourite timbers. need to spend more time with my lathe and get up to speed again, now you and others work on here has inspired me.

Nick

Welcome to the Forum Nick, missed your posts re: Isca woods and pear Wood on Sunday, I have always found Paul at Isca very helpful and accommodating.
Thanks for the comments, all very basic stuff from me but it keeps me out of other mischief whilst I'm in the shed.

Didn't know Icsca was there until I was chatting to a turner in the craft tent at Frampton show who told me about them, but then I haven't probably touched the lathe in 4-5 years at least :( Got some nice Oak and a slab of London Plane to butcher

________
________Something with a bit more flow than the bits & pieces over the last few days.
________
________

_____________Spalted Beech__________200 mm dia.

Lovely piece there, but is it my eyes? The shot of the underside seems to have a protruding section at the 7 o'clock position.

Turnr77":2gfheda0 said:
Lovely piece there, but is it my eyes? The shot of the underside seems to have a protruding section at the 7 o'clock position.
It was the bit of wood propping it up--I've moved it out of the way. :lol:

________
________One of the bigger bits from the current bits and pieces clearout.
________
________

______________Spalted Beech_____________186 mm dia.

________
________Something a bit different amongst the recent oddments clear out.
________
________

_____________Beech 110 mm H.

Lightweeder":1wmom07y said:
Nice beads Chas. Perfectly turned. Did you use a spindle gouge for those ?

No I cheated E, I used a A.I. beading tool.
I'm afraid I usually manage to screw up on one or two if I try that many freehand.

I don't see that as cheating Chas, if it woks (and it obviously does) go for it. You do quite a lot of beading on your work so it makes sense to cut down on the time and possibly mishaps.

Can you see the bottom of your scrap box yet?

Pete

No and there are at least 8-9 more to go Pete, please call in if you are venturing up to Brum in the near future, loads of small bits of walnut and ash etc. for finials and hooks etc.

Paul.J":16gl8ost said:
---Those beads are looking crisper all the time.
It's mastering the end grain that's the secret as always Paul, it's only a scraper system married to a couple of chisel points after all. Most of the usual methods of dealing with it help though.

________
________The only shape I could think of that would save some of the markings.
________
________
_______________Ash 110 mm

I can see why yu were asking for sites with shapes and form Chas, Must be running out of ideas LOL. Have you googled things like roman, greek etc pottery? Image searches can bring up a load of different forms.

pete

Back