Take the advice!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shipbadger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

How many times have I seen the advice, bin the Far Eastern blade on tablesaws and bandsaws and fit a decent blade. I've had my SIP 01332 tablesaw since the turn of the year but only reallly started to use it in the last few weeks. (Too busy building the shed to house it and the other toys!) Being a tight fisted so and so I hate throwing anything away, especially if I've paid for it. On this principle I thought I'd wear out the original blade before replacing it with the Atkinson Walker I'd bought. I've stared at the AW blade on the shelf and back to the wobbly oringinal blade for a fortnight thinking 'shall I'. This morning I did the deed, WOW, what a difference. The replacement runs straight as I die and is actually circular. The original could be seen wobbling and running eccentrically. Should have accepted the advice from those who know better right from the beginning. So to all others who may be dithering, do it, you won't regret it. After all if you really want to wear a hair shirt you can always put the old blade back again. I was going to keep mine 'in case', actually I think it's headed for the bin. Now there must be a use for duff blades - any suggestions? :)

Tony Comber

There have been posts from time to time in the hand tools section showing nice marking knives and scratch stock blades made from steel salvaged from circular saws. Basically it's a piece of steel, and if it's not as hard as others, that can be an advantage when cutting it up with a hacksaw or angle grinder.

If you don't already have a clock in your workshop, there's another idea - turn that useless saw blade in to a time piece! ;-)

OPJ":35fxqgtm said:
If you don't already have a clock in your workshop, there's another idea - turn that useless saw blade in to a time piece! ;-)

I was going to say this. I saw one AW did funny enough and keep meaning to do one myself. It was at the W10 NEC last year. Another Idea if you like a bit of quirkiness, collect them and keep them on a wall. When you get more put that one on a different part of the wall, eventually you will be overlapping them, IMO it looks quite good. I have been keeping my eyes out for a duff 24" or larger one as a centre to start my saw wall off.

Back