tailstock drill problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First make sure the tailstock and headstock are in line, put a centre in each and see if the meet.

If thats OK then try using a centre drill to start the hole. About a BS No 2 should be OK for woodturning use

Jason

Make sure the tailstock is tightly clamped to the bed and wind the drill in. You can just push it once the hole is well under way but I tend not to as I find, like you it can vibrate and wander.

Pete

I've found that bullet tip bits are excellent for cutting straight. They're made by Black and Decker (possibly others as well) and called Piranha. I used to see them in B&Q but they haven't had them the last few times I've been in.
The last ones I bought of Amazon (I think)

Is the taper of the Jacobs drill actually bedding fully in the tailstock.

I ask this as I have an Wadkins BZL lathe (and it will apply no doubt to the more common BXL's), that the taper in both the headstock and the tailstock are actually too short and a full morse taper including a tang on the end will not bed properly.

As I have several chucks from my metal lathe I decided against removing the tangs and had the good fortune to be able to borrow a 9/16" morse taper drill that didn't have tang, and drill out the far end of the tapers to allow a proper fit.

OW

I have been looking for Bullet Tips for some time. B&Q no longer carry them, they seem to have switched to Bosch.

Coincidentally,I finally managed to get a set this morning in Homebase. They're not cheap but work very well.

Drilling from the tailstock requires spot-on alignment and preferably a centre drill to start, especially when drilling larger holes.

Mike C

one of these
image001.jpg

Latest posts

Back