Tail Vice Hardware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at finally building my MkII workbench, (learning everything from using MkI funny how you can never get it near right with MkI you just need 5 years of use to know exactly what you want.

Now I hate my veritas twin screw end vice, so I'm going for a traditional tail vice.
I'm on the hnut for the best hardware made today as this one will last me the rest of my life and I see from www.lie-nielsen.com they stock German ones from a company in buisness since 1882
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?cat=520

Anyone know which company TLN gets them from - seems silly to pay postage all the way from US for this heavy item if it's only made next door.

Or any other suggestions for high quality hardware gratefully received.

:shock: Press screws too! Though even with transatlantic shipping+VAT cheaper from Grizzly/Rockler/LV/...

Didn't think to look at Dieter Schmid - have only once managed to get an order through their system, so have just about given up on them (is this just me, or a common problem?)

dunbarhamlin":1zrvn6kl said:
Didn't think to look at Dieter Schmid - have only once managed to get an order through their system, so have just about given up on them (is this just me, or a common problem?)

A couple of years ago, when the exchange rates were more advantageous, I ordered lots of stuff from Dieter, never any problems, great vendor. However, I don't recall using any site based ordering system, simply emailed Dieter.

AndyBoyd":15bm61ya said:
Thanks for the link Tny I'd seen your post previously and a very nice bench too, I'm just a sucker for fine engineering,

Me too (I have been an engineer for 20+ years after all :wink: )

The fine engineering is in the tail vice sections you make yourself , the tight but smoothly sliding fit :D
t

Andy,
Just in the process of building a bench myself and was considering the Veritas twin screw vice. I'd be interested to know what about it you don't like and whether anyone else had any strong thoughts on it.
Thanks

noddy67":3kh2x2wy said:
Andy,
Just in the process of building a bench myself and was considering the Veritas twin screw vice. I'd be interested to know what about it you don't like and whether anyone else had any strong thoughts on it.
Thanks

I find it sags easily and then it's stiff to turn
It's easy to break the pin that locks the 2 spindles together (it is designed weak and you get 2 ) after about a year had broken both and had to order 5 more from veritas

The most annoying thing for me is the vice handles are fixed and they always stick up and snag things - my jumper, power leads, are in the way when you lift on long pieces of wood, this for me is the most annoying aspect And in the overall sense they are quite expensive. Says he considering a 115€ screw from Germany when 25 € ones are available :oops: :oops:

Back