tablesaw quandry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannawood

Reaction score
hello everyone,
its finally time to upgrade my tablesaw as my little nutool has packed in (good enough excuse), i've narrowed it down to a choice of 2, namely the sip 10" cast iron saw and the scheppach ts2500. both saws get good write ups in the forums though the mitre guide on the sip seems to need a little modification or upgrade. the sip with sliding carriage come in around £750 and i can get a deal on a ts2500 with all the bits for £1250 so my question is really is the ts2500 so much better to be worth the extra £500?

I think someone posted that the sip's arbour was 26mm - might be something you want to consider. Eg Freud only do dado sets for 16 & 30mm if this is any intrest to you. How about the saws from Woodford - they seem to go very well on this board ?

Stephen

Hi Hannawood,

Welcome to the forum.

IMHO (maybe because i own one) the TS2500 wins hands down, and i am talking about the older aluminum model, which makes the new cast iron TS2500ci, a even better choice. So yes it is worth the £500 extra.

On the other hand you may like to look at the Woodford Xcalibur range which Philly and a few other members own. I am sure they will be along shortly to tell you about them.

Edit: Steve got to you with the Woodford range while i was still writing.

Good luck with your new saw.

Mike

Hannawood

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure all the woodford babes will be along shortly to give you the run down on the Xcalibar.

Myself, I think its one of my best buys.

Hello World !

I have decided to de-lurk at last to give the benefit of my invaluable opinions.

Well, to be specific, I have a (an ?) SIP cast iron table saw. Bought it last year, and I think it's wonderful. But then again, (like Mike with his TS2500) I own one, so I would say that. The mitre gauge supplied is a bit sloppy in the slot, but I have made a cross-cut sled and get very good cuts. I am sure that saws that cost twice as much are better, but whether they are twice as good ..... I suppose it depends what you need it for. I imagine as with most things in life you get what you pay for, but also that there is a law of diminishing returns. Waxing a bit philosophical there.

The user name is due to my sticking-up, thinning hair (think video game hedgehogs). Not my children, but my workmates !

Colin

For me, one of the best bits of the Scheppach TS2500 is the sliding table, and being able to move the extrusion before and after the saw, so its very flexible depending on the circumstances you are working to, as the entire sliding table can be brought forward a tremendous amount. Also, the extension on the sliding table fence is a good addition to extend the sheet size that can be used.

Adam

As Adam says it is flexible. The downside with the Sheppach (same in the CI version as well IIRC) is that the mitre slots are non standard. Why is beyond me but its v. annoying. Other than that its a great buy.

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back