Table Saw up to £500.00

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - I am considering a new Table Saw - the Makita 2704 or the Boch GTS 10 look like good candidates. Any preferences or similar recommendations?

John

I have the bosh. It's a very good saw. But it is only site saw. If you expect to much out of it you won't like it. I've seen the makita and the dewalt as i used to own a finishing company in canada and a lot of the employee's cheaped out and bought them. They simply don't compare. I think the bosh is in a class of it's own.

I have the Makita and think it is excellent I am no pro though and have nothing to compare it with.

Ive not used either - but i like the axminster TS200 which at arround 300 notes is well within your budget.

Hi

The TS200 caught my eye after I posted last night, cast table looks very promising and as you say the price is right.

John

The Mak is what it is. It's a portable (site) saw and as such is a very capable piece of kit. With the addition of a decent run-off table and a bit of patience it is capable of excellent work, but what it isn't is a £2500 cast iron-top industrial quality cabinet saw. None of these small saws is. Could I live with one all the time? Yes, if I had to. I feel it would be a bit limiting, but it would allow me to do almost everything I'd ever need to do for home woodworking, but then what I can't do on the saw as a joiner I'm perfectly able to do with eitrher hand or power tools so the choice of kit doesn't limit me that much. I suppose it is all down to budget at the end of the day

Depends what you want it for, like Tom says, go secondhand to make the most of your cash. I got my Kity 619 for 250 quid after a bit of hunting, it's a lot of saw for the money

Ironballs":pbme3jzz said:
Depends what you want it for, like Tom says, go secondhand to make the most of your cash. I got my Kity 619 for 250 quid after a bit of hunting, it's a lot of saw for the money

My Kity619 was also 2nd and came with extensions, etc. and a few extra bits and pieces - fantastic value for the money.

segovia":2s2b0rur said:
Hi

The TS200 caught my eye after I posted last night, cast table looks very promising and as you say the price is right.

John
At that price, just check if it's straight though :wink: - Rob

If I increase my budget to £700.00 the SIP currently at £672.00 looks like a decent machine, is there anything else in this budget range ?

John

When I was buying my table saw, I had a budget of £500-600 and a short list of the following.

SIP 01332
DEFT T30
Axminster AW10BSB2
Jet SuperSaw
Fox F36-530

At the time, the SIP, Axminster and Fox could be purchased new within budget. The DEFT T30 too on eBay. This is the one I really wanted, but I missed out on one (in budget) because I was on holiday. Retailed for a lot more. Gutted ! I don't think the DEFT is available any more as there has been talk on here that Lyndhurst have folded.

The Jet I was looking second hand.

Then when I found the SIP on eBay, won it and was very happy again. With the money left over I got myself a nice shiny Veritas LA Jack and LN LA Block... If you can bide your time, there really are some second hand bargins to be had. I was looking for a year before I made the decision.

BTW, the SIP is currently £599 at Rutlands. A warning however, if you buy from Rutlands, don't expect any kind of after sales support if you have problems.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery-&-a ... -table-saw

Cheers,
Sam

white_sw":28tcxyif said:
BTW, the SIP is currently £599 at Rutlands. A warning however, if you buy from Rutlands, don't expect any kind of after sales support if you have problems.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/machinery-&-a ... -table-saw

Cheers,
Sam

Sorry, Sam, until you posted that linked I didn't realise Rutlands were now selling SIP gear! Does this suggest they could be looking to faze out Fox? :shock:

This dust extractor caught my eye which, according to the spec., isn't a million miles away from Axminster's ADE2200, and £75 cheaper... :-k

As for after sales service, there are both those on the forum who have had good and bad experiences in dealing with Rutlands (I'm of the former, having needed some spares in the past). SIP are very good to deal with, in my experience, and you do get a two-year warranty with all their products, where as Axminster and others will only offer one-year.

I did't know Rutlands were selling the SIP either until I went to their site to look up the Fox saw that was on my origional list. Looks like the SIP has replaced the Fox saw on their site.... ? I still buy from Rutlands, but look else where first. I've had several good experiances with them, but a couple of bad ones too which left a nasty taste in my mouth resulting in my over all opinion of them.....

Sam

Latest posts

Back