Quantcast

Table saw mods & overhead dust extraction (lots of pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

CraftNav

Established Member
Reaction score
Greeting fellow 'woodies'

I've had a Kity table saw for a good few years and I have always thought the space underneath was wasted so this weekend I 'knocked up' a new base with room for plenty of storage

Its only made from scraps and offcuts of ply and 'caber' floor, no fancy joinery just loads of glue & screws.

Now I must confess that in the past I have been a bad boy & removed my crown guard :oops: especially when cutting big boards and it was while cutting the chipboard for this project that I finally decided to do something about it.

The first thing I have done is to seal the base of the saw and fit a 4" outlet on the back (I took the saw to pieces and did a few mods inside as suggested in another post )

Next I trawled the net for ideas of overhead crown guards and came up with my own interpretation of the Axminster one but at Zero cost :D

The main arm is from an old vacuum cleaner attached to a metal bar via an aerial bracket. The plastic is lexan from an old propagator (I hope SHMBO doesn't read this :shock: ) superglued and screwed. The rest is just bits of wood and metal. The hood stays in any position thanks to spring washers and 'ny-lock' nuts.

I have given it a test with some MDF and I am very happy with the dust extraction and feel a lot safer with the blade covered.

I am not too happy with the aerial bracket holding the arm (any suggestions ?)

If you look closely at the fist pic I moved the on / off switch up near the sliding carriage (where I can see it !) which I thought would be much safer than fumbling around below,
and it is ........until you come to cut a large board and then the board covers the switch (homer) DOH so I am planning to mount the switch on the main arm and fit an extra emergency stop button at knee height.

Next step is to make drawers and doors, I'll keep you posted.

John

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
=D> Fantastic, I love this sort of ingenuity. Well Done mate

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
John,

Useful looking bench, I made something like it for the cheap B&Q saw I used to have. Modified to hold the mitre saw now.
I have the Axminster overhead guard, LOML got it for me as a christmas present a few years ago, yours looks just as useful but cost a fraction of the axminster price. :D
Could you use a scaffold clamp to hold the pipe? It might need a bit of packing but should still be a good steady support.

Gary

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice work Johnny.

Makes my Kity on it's standard base look very basic.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi John

Good job. Commercial hoods generally have either a large diameter wheel/roller at the front or a "ski ramp" - this is so that if you accidentally set the guard too low it wil be pushed to the correct height by the material rather than possibly getting damaged. I like the idea of using nylocs to provide a friction parallelogram

Might I suggest that you'd be a bit safer if you replaced the riving knifewhen ripping?

Scrit

CraftNav

Established Member
Reaction score
Well spotted guys :oops:

Riving knife now back installed :D

I only removed it when I was modifying the 'insides' :oops: ...........honest

or did I remove it for photographic purposes :?

john

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice one Johnny, i made a mobile cabinet for mine some while ago now but it does not have the storage room of yours.
The guard/extractor is something I am interested in making, and yours gives a few good tips

greggy

Established Member
Reaction score
johnny, nice cabinet, its just like mine i made last year for my k 419 and your dust extaction is great too. well done mate.

seaco

Established Member
Reaction score
Nicely done John, the only thing I would possibly alter is I'd make the connection a bit stronger where you've used the ariel bracket as it seems to be taking alot of stress and if God forbid you did need the guard to protect you would it easily push away exposing the whirling cutty bit?