Table Saw choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithomatic

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time posting here! I am sure this question has been asked a million times and will be asked a million again.. I have read through some old topics on this forum to see if I could find any advice that would sway me one way or the other but unfortunately I have read nothing that really helps me make a choice.

My situation: I am currently building indoor cabinets and vivariums to keep animals (lizards, snakes, hamsters, chinchillas etc..). It started off as just a simple non profit hobby to help people out who were looking to provide their small pets with more suitable and custom indoor housing. Now being that it started off as just a hobby, most of the work I have been doing is with hand saws, hammer and chisel etc (this takes a looong time!). At the moment I am finding I am receiving more and more requests and I am now thinking about doing this part time for profit (as I am now working less hours). I already have a lot of kit that I inherited but simply do not use yet which I am going to dig out from my gramps garage. One thing that is missing however, and is in my opinion quite key, is a table saw.

I have read many reviews online but simply cannot decide what to buy. Everything sold seems not to be designed for my intended level of use. For example I see alot of: "designed for small DIY but not for regular use", "heavy duty - hobby sized", "industrial"...

I am hoping to achieve a fairly high standard of work with my table saw though this does not need to be 100%. I will mostly be ripping and cross cutting 47x75mm softwoods and smaller. I will also be aiming to cut down 8x4 sheets of plywood, mdf, OSB. I will be using it fairly regularly - probably 2/3 days a week. I need to be able to cut down and rip large quantities of wood (perhaps up to 15 plywood sheets a week) as I will be bulk buying materials to make the business more profitable.

Here is a picture of the kind of work I am doing at the moment, hopefully this will give you a better idea of the kind of tool I need. (Sheets were cut at BNQ cutting service. Hand saws and chisels were used to make the inside frame. Screwdriver to screw the joints together and a palm sander for cleaning up the wood): I cannot provide links so hopefully I have attached it correctly!?

I have attempted to purchase the Ryobi and Erbaue table saws from screwfix but unfortunately they no longer stock them (despite still being on the website and catalogue). I have also been tentatively looking at the Axminster TS200 (I like the quiet motor and cast iron top). My concern with the Axminster one is that it will lack the power for what I need it to be doing. Features I am looking for is standard sized (18mm?) mitre slots for a sled, powerful and sturdy. Size is not too important as I will be happy to build a workbench / outfeed table around it to support large pieces of wood. I will not be moving this table saw from my workbench so absolutely no need for it to be portable, once set up it will stay where it is. My budget is between £200-£300. If the business takes off and I make a bit of money I will buy a larger more professional table saw (£1000+) within the next 2 years.

So, should I go for the axminster? Is there a table saw that I have not yet seen that you would recommend? Or should I wait until January for the new screw fix catalogue (I would rather not wait as there are some projects I would like to start now).

Hopefully I have provided enough information! haha!

I look forward to your advice and help!

Many thanks,

Josh

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,050
Firstly, welcome to the forum.

A thousand and one choices for you with saws.

If space is not an issue, I would look for a good, used kity 619. The ts200 will do all that you are asking cutting wise but by the time that you have bought the extras it starts to become expensive. The 619 will be nearer your "in 2 years time" purchase but at the ts200 money. If the 619 blows your budget, a 618 would be a good bet but it lacks the micro adjust on the fence.

Aim to be 100% with your table saw. Set it up well and it will reward you. 15 sheets a week is a lot for a hobbiest, but shouldn't stretch the saw that much at all. Don't worry too much about the size if the mitre slots. You will go insane trying to find something for your budget with "standard" ones. Then give up trying. Work with what you get- you can work round them if necessary and shouldn't need to do so immediately.

Hi Marcros,

Thanks for your reply, definitely useful! I was really hoping to hear some thoughts from people who know / use the saws I listed - its good to hear that the hobby series TS200 should be able to withstand the abuse I intend to give my table saw. I will forget about the standard sized mitre slots (I only really wanted this for the sake of purchasing a good quality mitre guide) and just aim to get one that has 2 slots, with this I can then make a variety of sleds/jigs quite easily. I am thinking the hobby series might be better for me as opposed to the kity 619 mainly due to price. With regards to the TS200 I do not believe I will be needing any add-ons other than perhaps the vac due to the fact I can make my own (and will be planning to have a series of them) workbenches that are level with the table saw (I am not even sure the extensions you can purchase would be all that useful to me?). Between a selection of workbenches, sleds and jigs I am thinking that really only the saw itself will be important in the long run.

While I do have space I would rather retain as much as possible because the projects I work on can be quite big. I do not wish to be cramped too much between my equipment and the projects. I am still working on the layout for my shop.

The 618 is worth a look- only 1 on eBay at the moment but 200-300 is about what they go for.

The cross cut sled on the ts200 is handy- probably better than the mitre gauge

If you need to upgrade the mitre gauge, you will need to make an alternative runner- the same as for a crosscut sled etc. sounds like you already had the latter in mind.

Yes,

The more I think about it the more I think the TS will be better. Particularly because my own pets are not far from where the work takes place and I have read in many places that the TS is very quiet comparatively. My only problem with the TS was the fact that it is so small. I wish it was just a little bit bigger - hopefully I can make up for this with workbench placement.

I do like the Kity but if I buy one I am sure I will buy it new so I have the warranty and know that everything is brand new when I start using it. Thanks for telling me about that one, I will keep my on them for next year.

Josh

What about the Erbauer and Ryobi? Are either of these any good? Worth holding out for in case screwfix restock them?

I have also heard about a Metabo TS250. Does anyone have experience of this saw?

Back