Table saw choice frustration...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham54

Reaction score
Hi all...

I've been visiting this forum for a few months now to get info on tools etc. to get my workshop up & running but this is my first actual post. After successfully acquiring a few used machines, band saw, planer/thicknesser etc. I seem to have come to a stumbling block trying to get a decent table saw. Nobody in the far south east appears to want to get rid or upgrade. I've almost resigned myself to the fact that I will have to buy new - fortunately Axminster is not too far away so I've been into their showroom a few times to drool...

The TS-200 probably has everything I need but I'm not too keen on the fence, the insert plate or the small size of the cast iron table. I can also see myself wanting something bigger/better in the not too distant future.
The AW10BSB2 is exactly what I want (I just love that fence) except that the fence rails are too short to make a decent width cut. I know they do a table extension but I don't want the cast iron side tables that come with it as I want to make my own to include a router at a later date. Plus the added cost brings it to double that of the TS-200 kit.

All my searches seem to bring up threads from years ago with prices to match so any suggestions would be very welcome.
Many thanks in advance...

Graham

Welcome. Cannot really help you as I have the ts200 equivalent Kity and find it great. All I would say is if you intend to add your own side extension then the size of the Axminster table top is a little irrelevant. Add a rear extension and you can have a table top as large as you like.

The limitations are that is is only an 8" blade and not as powerful as some larger machines but I find mine adequate.

Mick

Thanks Mick, I should have been a little clearer on the table size. It is the distance from the front of the table to the start of the blade. I want to make some specific sleds and I don't think there is enough bed to hold the sled before starting the cut. The TS-200 only has 7" where as the bigger machine is double that.

Hi I am not to far from you in sittingbourne. Have you looked at a Makita 2704. I am just about to sell mine with wheeled base. :)

plug":2r03fv3b said:
Hi I am not to far from you in sittingbourne. Have you looked at a Makita 2704. I am just about to sell mine with wheeled base. :)

Thanks for the offer but I already have a contractor saw (admittedly a rubbish one) and really want to go for a cast iron top & induction motor.

If you want to go cast iron then off to ebay and get a Wadkin AGS or equivalent table saw, you can get real bargains on larger saws.

I've got an AW12BSB2 which is very close to the AW10BSB2 and I've put a router in the outfeed table, much easier overall.

Dangermouse":1591j5x4 said:
If you want to go cast iron then off to ebay and get a Wadkin AGS or equivalent table saw, you can get real bargains on larger saws.
Yes, I've been looking on there for a few months now. So far the only ones that have come up within a reasonable distance have been REALLY heavy beasts and usually three phase. My workshop is only accessible through the house (unless I take the neighbours fence down - which is a last resort) plus I'm limited on floor weight. Some of those machines would definitely be pushing it.

monkeybiter":13sub4on said:
I've got an AW12BSB2 which is very close to the AW10BSB2 and I've put a router in the outfeed table, much easier overall.
Is that an offer Mike? :lol: It's the AW12BSB2 that's in the Axminster showroom (drool). Personally, I would not want to put the router on the outfeed as I would need to push the saw up against the wall when not in use as my workshop is not that wide.

I have the AW 10" and I HAD the TS200. The TS200 was absolute rubbish...and thats being kind! The pressed steel side table was so domed that I ended up sending it back to Axy...who kindly (great service) sent me another...which was also domed! They eventually admitted it was a manufacturing defect and that it was just a saw made to a budget. I think my threads with them caused them to change some of their supply chain for that saw cos Ive seen it more recently and that side table has improved. (This was several years ago).

Meanwhile I bit the bullet and got the 10" drooler you mention. I got the table extensions and the sliding apparatus and it is a dam good saw. The factory fitted mitre fence is also pretty dam good and not to be instantly thrown away as with most out the box mitre fences.

I would either wait for a second hand one or get it new....its easily the best mid range table saw in the UK right now. If only they would extend the arbor for a dado head cutter my life would be complete!!
I also looked long and hard at the market before I made my choice....for months....including visiting the D&M exhibition where I saw all the competition together...still the axy was the best combination of price and functionality.

My next saw will be capable of a dado head cutter...when the UK finally gets over itself with the legal myth about H&S and the manufacturers get their fingers out their a.s.s. and realise the pent up demand in this country for a saw that allows sheet goods to be joined in double quick time by small workshops!! Rant over.

Get the Axy....you will regret anything else and you'll just be buying it in a year anyway...like I did with the TS200. That adage of buy cheap buy twice is absolutely spot on!

Random Orbital Bob":10ftu99a said:
Get the Axy....you will regret anything else and you'll just be buying it in a year anyway...like I did with the TS200. That adage of buy cheap buy twice is absolutely spot on!

I'd be there like a shot if I could get it with the long fence rails instead of the short ones. I suppose I could ask - you never know...

I think you wll find that the Axminster AW10 is the same saw that has been sold under the SIP brand for a good number of years now, not sure of the model number, but by all accounts a very good machine. I seriously considered one of these several years ago before settling on the Jet Supersaw which is sadly no longer available in the UK. I believe a number of UKW members have the SIP version and. Are vey happy with it.

HTH
Richard

Yes, that's the same saw, they are all badge engineered in the same far eastern factory. The price of his one is much closer to what I recall, the Axminster and SIP do seem to have gone up quite a lot from what I recall. This one looks excellent value for a new saw, might even get it a bit cheaper with the offer button. Let us know what you decide on in the end.
I would say that I bought my Jet about nine or ten years ago (doesn't seem that long ago) and paid around £800 for it, seems like a real again now, though at the time it felt like a kings ransom. If you can stretch yourself now to get something decent quality, I doubt you will regret it in the long run.

Richard

Well, I contacted Axminster to see if I could get longer fence rails for their saw instead of the short ones and they said I would have to buy the whole table extension kit which would take it over £820 + delivery. So, after checking the classifieds for one last time, I decided to bite the bullet and get this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iTECH-01332-2 ... 0978794356

£760 including delivery - from what I can see, exactly what I want!

Now I've just got to wait.... :D

Back