Table saw choice frustration...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys sorry to resurect and old thread but it seemed better than starting yet another "what table saw should I buy" thread.

My B&Q table saw which served me not so well for only £90 died a few days ago thankfully and it has given me an excuse to buy a new one. Now learning my lesson I won't be buying B&Q makes again I have seen an axminster one in my budget range http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jet-jts- ... rod208698/.

Has anyone owned one of these before. I dont use a table saw that much and really only need on for making small items due to the size of my shed. I also want to use it to cut up stock for segmented turning so it will never have a heavy life.

If anyone has had one before was a decent enough saw for its price?

Edit to add I could go up and buy this one http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... rod886281/ but seen a review earlier in the thread to say it was not all that good.

It's a shame you're in Scotland, you could have had my old saw - that was a B&Q jobby as well...
To be honest, it was quite good - once I set it up correctly. My main reason for upgrading was I was limited to just a 12" cut.

Attachments

• 20130525_115212.jpg
    20130525_115212.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,345
  • 20130525_121609.jpg
    20130525_121609.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,345
The iTech saw looks great - How have you found it?

I've been pondering over either that one or the Axminster equivalent for a while.

Was the mobile base easy to fit or did you need some lifting equipment?

Hi all, if anyone's interested-
I bought a second hand Scheppach TS250 about 3 years ago. I cost me £630 including sliding table and folding side table extension. I've been very pleased with it, especially the sliding table. It doesn't have the facility to take a dado head because it doesn't have an insert - instead there's a whole section of table about 4" wide that can be removed to get at the blade and dust extraction chute (mine is the aluminium table version).
I've read a few threads about poor quality Scheppach tools, including the TS200 and their radial arm drill press, but I've found this to be a nice piece of kit, although I'm no expert and this is the only table saw I've used. It just seems to do the job accurately and I'm happy with that.

K

Chints":bxwoqg1k said:
The iTech saw looks great - How have you found it?
It's so heavy, it's usually where I left it.... :lol:

No, I think it's brilliant. Mind you, apart from the B&Q jobby, I've nothing else to compare it to. The only difference I can see from the Axminster is the fence rail profile and the price of course.
The base is easy to install under the machine. Just build it in two halves. It's surprisingly easy just to lift one side up at a time and slide each half of the base underneath then just lift up the overlapping bars in the middle and slide a bolt in. I did it on my own without any levers or propping up on blocks.

Back